DE Help!

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
dj000524
I'm new here
I'm new here

DE Help!

Postby dj000524 » Sun 07 Jun, 2009 13:47

I have more than one filters worth of DE in the pool probably more like 3 or more. I did not add more de when i replaced the grids. I vacuumed what was in the pool thru the filter and it seems that the de in the pool has attached itself to the grids and the pressure started out ok, it then has risen to 30. So backwashed and rinsed 3 cycles for the past week. I noticed that the pool is a little clearer. Can see the second step now. Turn the system on and the pressure was reading around 15 (which seems to be about normal accoring to what i remember it reading last year). After vacuuming I looked at one of the skimmers and see a lot of de going thru the skimmer. Took a water sample at one of the jets and seen lots of de coming out. Per my local pool company I have blocked the skimmers and filtering the water from the drain. The pressure on my gauge starts at 15 then rises to 30-35 in several hours. I took the fitlers apart again and gave them a cleaning and noticed that there wasnt that much DE on the grids that should have casued the pressure to go that high. Just doesnt seem like something is working right. Now i am wondering if i raise the water level and vacuum to waste or should i maybe drain the pool and clean the bottom so no de is on the bottom and start refilling that day?
All help would be great!!

I/G Gunite pool 13'X35' avg size.
Aprx. 25,000 gal
Anthony DE Filter 60sqf
Centurion Pump 1.5 HP

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

DE Help!

Postby mr_clean » Sun 07 Jun, 2009 14:29

I have more than one filters worth of DE in the pool probably more like 3 or more. I did not add more de when i replaced the grids. I vacuumed what was in the pool thru the filter and it seems that the de in the pool has attached itself to the grids and the pressure started out ok, it then has risen to 30. So backwashed and rinsed 3 cycles for the past week. I noticed that the pool is a little clearer. Can see the second step now. Turn the system on and the pressure was reading around 15 (which seems to be about normal accoring to what i remember it reading last year). After vacuuming I looked at one of the skimmers and see a lot of de going thru the skimmer. Took a water sample at one of the jets and seen lots of de coming out. Per my local pool company I have blocked the skimmers and filtering the water from the drain. The pressure on my gauge starts at 15 then rises to 30-35 in several hours. I took the fitlers apart again and gave them a cleaning and noticed that there wasnt that much DE on the grids that should have casued the pressure to go that high. Just doesnt seem like something is working right. Now i am wondering if i raise the water level and vacuum to waste or should i maybe drain the pool and clean the bottom so no de is on the bottom and start refilling that day?
All help would be great!!

when you took apart filter & cleaned the grids did you take them apart from the manifold they go into?
or did you just pull & leave everything together & clean the best you could?
Some DE filters have to come apart/unplug from the manifold just to remove them as the manifold sits on the bottom of the filter.
Other DE filters, the manifold is on the top & you have to grab it (manifold) to pull out the grids to clean them.
The reason I ask is, did you inspect them & the manifold for holes/cracks by having everything apart?
this would be one way the DE powder can get into your pool.
Or did you just allow DE powder to go back into your pool when cleaning your filter?
An easy way to stop this would be to remove the pump lid before cleaning the filter & sticking a old shirt in pump pot to stop it from returning into your pool.

If the pool water is just full of DE powder (looks milky) & you can only see a step I would insect the filter like said above & then run filter 24-7 until clear.
then once clear & you can see DE powder on the pool floor, vac it & go very slow so it does not rise in the water. This may take a couple times & don't be surprised if you need to backwash if that much DE powder went into your pool (like you stated) as the filter is catching it all & when gauge shows it higher than normal (backwash) so you can start again. Know after inspecting grids & manifold leave filter empty like before.....

my opinion, a grid/grids or manifold are bad allowing DE powder to return to your pool. This happens from only backwashing & not cleaning your filter at least once a year to keep the grids/manifold in good working shape to help prevent damage.
Damage happens from to much pressure from the DE powder in the filter and starts crushing the grids causing tears/holes & can crack the manifold.
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

DE Help!

Postby Me... » Mon 08 Jun, 2009 07:56

Something I noticed is that you have a 1.5hp pump and a 60sq.ft. filter. Your pump could be trying to pump over 100gpm or around 2gpm per sq.ft. of surface area which is max. On DE and cartridge filters 1gpm per sq.ft. works a lot better. You will get better quality filtration and less stress on your grids, elements, covers and cartridges.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”