Filter stops working after a while

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
CitiField2009

Postby CitiField2009 » Tue 09 Jun, 2009 05:30

Hi, I am having some difficulties with my pool this season. i have a 2 yr. old DE Hayward Filter and just bought a brand new 1.5HP pump. First day everything was working fine, but i noticed after a couple of hours the pressure on the water going back into the pool from the filter in the return lines where getting weak, eventually stopping. I reprimed the pump, several times, and it keeps doing it. I attemped to vacum the pool and only get suction for about 5 or 10 min than it dies out again. I replaced all o-rings and I dont see leaks anywhere. I did notice that when i put the filter on recirulate, the pressure is very strong and works fine but its not filtering. Any ideas??? could it be a blockage in the filter valuve or something??
Thanks.

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Tue 09 Jun, 2009 05:46

CitiField2009 wrote:Hi, I am having some difficulties with my pool this season. i have a 2 yr. old DE Hayward Filter and just bought a brand new 1.5HP pump. First day everything was working fine, but i noticed after a couple of hours the pressure on the water going back into the pool from the filter in the return lines where getting weak, eventually stopping. I reprimed the pump, several times, and it keeps doing it. I attemped to vacum the pool and only get suction for about 5 or 10 min than it dies out again. I replaced all o-rings and I dont see leaks anywhere. I did notice that when i put the filter on recirulate, the pressure is very strong and works fine but its not filtering. Any ideas??? could it be a blockage in the filter valuve or something??
Thanks.

Hi,

When the flow comes to a stop does the pressure on the filter tank drop to zero?
citifield2009

Postby citifield2009 » Tue 09 Jun, 2009 05:52

Well, the funny thing my pressure gauge doesnt work, i ended up damaging it when i was getting it out of storage. Should I get a new one? They only cost a few bucks right?
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Tue 09 Jun, 2009 06:05

citifield2009 wrote:Well, the funny thing my pressure gauge doesnt work, i ended up damaging it when i was getting it out of storage. Should I get a new one? They only cost a few bucks right?

Yeah, they are pretty cheap. Easier to troubleshoot knowing if the pressure is going up or down. When it drops you're looking at the pump back to the skimmer. Pressure going up you look at the filter.
citifield2009

Postby citifield2009 » Tue 09 Jun, 2009 07:02

Great, I'll do that today after work. if you wouldnt mind tellin me just so i know what should the filter pressure be at when its working?? 20psi?
I'm thinking its the filter ya know, i just got the new pump so i'm PRAYING its not that. but the filter is like a little over a year old, maybe the valve is clogged or somthing.
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Tue 09 Jun, 2009 07:14

citifield2009 wrote:Great, I'll do that today after work. if you wouldnt mind tellin me just so i know what should the filter pressure be at when its working?? 20psi?
I'm thinking its the filter ya know, i just got the new pump so i'm PRAYING its not that. but the filter is like a little over a year old, maybe the valve is clogged or somthing.

There is no normal pressure. Between 10-20psi would be about right. If it works fine on recirculate then there shouldn't be any problem with the pump.
citifield2009

Postby citifield2009 » Tue 09 Jun, 2009 08:14

Yep, thats what i said to myself. I actually told my brother to stop by this morning and do a good backwash on the filter. He did so and he said that he let the filter run for a while and it had very good pressure coming back into the pool. Perhaps the filter had alot of sediment in there.
thanks for your help very much.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”