DE on pool bottom

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
ddgz1
I'm new here
I'm new here

DE on pool bottom

Postby ddgz1 » Tue 09 Jun, 2009 06:04

We have a DE filter that looks to be in good condition. Towards the end of last season, we started seeing small amounts of DE on the pool bottom. We cleaned the filter and have now reopened the pool and it is happening again. We can't see any problems with the filter parts so don't know what to replace or what the problem is. Any ideas? Thank you.

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

DE on pool bottom

Postby Denali » Tue 09 Jun, 2009 06:12

ddgz1 wrote:We have a DE filter that looks to be in good condition. Towards the end of last season, we started seeing small amounts of DE on the pool bottom. We cleaned the filter and have now reopened the pool and it is happening again. We can't see any problems with the filter parts so don't know what to replace or what the problem is. Any ideas? Thank you.

Hi,

What brand and model of filter is it?

The normal places to look are the grids for tears, the manifold for cracks and if there is an internal air relief valve, there also. Do you see DE coming out the return lines when you add it?
ddgz1
I'm new here
I'm new here

DE on pool bottom

Postby ddgz1 » Tue 09 Jun, 2009 06:58

We have a Sparco Hi Efficiency DE Filter Model DE35. Although we don't see the De coming out the return lines, we think it is as more comes out when the pump is running.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

DE on pool bottom

Postby mr_clean » Tue 09 Jun, 2009 17:58

does your filter loose it's pressure when shutting of the pump? meaning all the water drains out back into your pool leaving the filter empty of water.
If this happens it could be a bad check valve that is not stopping this from happening.

Other than that like said above when pulling out grids which attach to manifold make sure to inspect them & the manifold very close.

Grids if not taken apart from manifold when cleaning them would be the fast & incorrect way to inspect them.
Some DE filters have the manifold on the top when opening the filter & you grab it & pull out everything bolted together, or the manifolds on the bottom of the filter & this is when you take out the grids first & then take out the manifold as you unbolt them before.

either way grids need to be cleaned & looked at close for tears/holes all the way around them.
The plastic manifold you inspect for pressure cracks that are easier to see.

Putting back together correct is also key as, if grids are not snug into manifold you can leak DE back into pool.

I have seen this when manifold sits on top & people do not know how to allign grids correctly & make tears/holes. This type comes with 1 small grid that goes into one place only to allign correct & not cause problems.
ddgz1
I'm new here
I'm new here

DE on pool bottom

Postby ddgz1 » Tue 09 Jun, 2009 19:24

Thank you very much. We'll post how we made out.
help me

DE on pool bottom

Postby help me » Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:12

Help me out someone.. we have a pentair DE filter, and we have been cleaning it ourselfs for a few years. now when we put DE in the skimmer it ALL came back into the pool???? why would this happen.
HOW do we fix it??? PLS ANSWER someone
Thanks
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

DE on pool bottom

Postby Denali » Tue 14 Jul, 2009 18:34

help me wrote:Help me out someone.. we have a pentair DE filter, and we have been cleaning it ourselfs for a few years. now when we put DE in the skimmer it ALL came back into the pool???? why would this happen.
HOW do we fix it??? PLS ANSWER someone
Thanks

Hi,

First place to look is for holes in any of the grids inside the filter. Also the manifold that the grids connect to needs to be checked for cracks. You have to take the filter apart, clean it and then check the grids and manifold.

If you have a multiport valve on your system that is another area to check. Make sure it is set to filter.
Robert41

DE on pool bottom

Postby Robert41 » Mon 30 Jul, 2012 18:45

I have a pentair DE filter, FNS plus 48. I was getting alot of DE in the pool so I replaced the the entire filter element (one piece). It's better but I still have DE settling into the pool. Should I rebuild the multiport with one of those kits? I read in the previous posts that the element should be properly aligned. How do I know if it's in correctly
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

DE on pool bottom

Postby CGPoolman » Tue 31 Jul, 2012 08:29

Robert,

The filter element only fits in one way - if you were able to drop in the element and close the filter without issue it should be installed correctly. The most common cause for DE blowing back into the pool is the "wagon wheel" gasket in your multiport valve needs to be replaced. Your local pool store should have one, they generally cost around 10-15 bucks. Only takes a few minutes to change it out.

CG

DE on pool bottom

Postby Guest » Thu 02 Aug, 2012 20:16

Thanks CG,
I looked at the handle on the multi-port. Does that need to be removed or can I just undo the 6 screws on the valve top to pull out the valve stem?
Michel15
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

DE on pool bottom

Postby Michel15 » Tue 30 Oct, 2012 11:19

I was getting a lot of DE in the pool so I replaced the the entire filter element one piece. It's better but I still have DE settling into the pool. Should I rebuild the multi port with one of those kits....

Pool Accessories
DYSPoolguy

DE on pool bottom

Postby DYSPoolguy » Tue 06 Aug, 2013 08:51

Hayward DE 3620 filter. I was having problem finding it's way back to the pool. I went ahead and replaced the entire filter element inside the filter expecting the problem to stop. Unfortunately it hasn't. After reading a lot of the post, I am going to check for leaks. I have noticed that when the pump shuts off, DE comes out the floor skimmer and on start up, it comes out of the return lines, not a lot but enough to get on my nerves because I have to then clean it on a daily basis. When the pump shuts off, I do hear the gargling sound of water draining away from the filter. I have noticed that there are no check valves and if they are there, then I must not know what I am looking for. I knot that the seal on the lid of my Hayward chlorinator is not sealing properly. I will replace all the rubber O-rings and seals today to see if this will correct the problem. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”