I paid someone to clean my filter

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
lbj23
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20,000 gallons, DE Nautilus Pentair Filter

Postby lbj23 » Tue 09 Jun, 2009 22:18

I have a DE Nautilus Plus

I paid a guy to clean my pool and filter about a month ago, I have suspicisons that he did not clean the filter. He came to my house one morning to clean my pool/filter.... he showed me how to vaccuum, brush, etc. then I left for work and he was supposed to finish. I come back home and the pool hadnt been brushed or vaccuumed. The outside of the filter is very dirty, and I had to use W-40 just to unscrew it. Once I got the screw/belt off, I couldnt get the top off (I dont know how, I thought it just lifted up).

My pressure gauge reads zero no matter what setting I have my stuff on. When I try to vaccuum none of the pine needles from the bottom of the pool get sucked up. Do you think this could be the result of a dirty filter? I dont know how to get the top off and check.

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Wed 10 Jun, 2009 01:30

lbj23 wrote:I have a DE Nautilus Plus

I paid a guy to clean my pool and filter about a month ago, I have suspicisons that he did not clean the filter. He came to my house one morning to clean my pool/filter.... he showed me how to vaccuum, brush, etc. then I left for work and he was supposed to finish. I come back home and the pool hadnt been brushed or vaccuumed. The outside of the filter is very dirty, and I had to use W-40 just to unscrew it. Once I got the screw/belt off, I couldnt get the top off (I dont know how, I thought it just lifted up).

My pressure gauge reads zero no matter what setting I have my stuff on. When I try to vaccuum none of the pine needles from the bottom of the pool get sucked up. Do you think this could be the result of a dirty filter? I dont know how to get the top off and check.

Hi,

If your pressure reading is 0 it probably means the pump isn't primed. Open up the pump lid and fill with water. Turn on equipment, open pressure relief valve on top of filter. As the pump primes you should hear air coming from the pressure relief valve. When water comes from it, close it and pump should be primed.

The filter may be dirty but first you need to get the pump going. If the above doesn't prime it, there are other things to check.
lbj23
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20,000 gallons, DE Nautilus Pentair Filter

Postby lbj23 » Wed 10 Jun, 2009 09:37

What settings should my equipment be on when Im trying to prime it?

My filter has the push pull valve (up and down)

The pump only has 3 settings, the pool guy took a marker and wrote "skimmer" on the left side, the middle says "inlet" (engraved) and he wrote "main line" on the right side

Which direction should I have the nozzle pointed in?

Also, how am i supposed to remove the top off my filter? I unscrewed it/ removed the belt....I still couldnt get the top off, which is strange because if it was cleaned a month ago how could it be so stuck?
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Thu 11 Jun, 2009 04:40

lbj23 wrote:What settings should my equipment be on when Im trying to prime it?

My filter has the push pull valve (up and down)

The pump only has 3 settings, the pool guy took a marker and wrote "skimmer" on the left side, the middle says "inlet" (engraved) and he wrote "main line" on the right side

Which direction should I have the nozzle pointed in?

Also, how am i supposed to remove the top off my filter? I unscrewed it/ removed the belt....I still couldnt get the top off, which is strange because if it was cleaned a month ago how could it be so stuck?

The push pull valve should be down in the filter position all the time unless you are backwashing. The inlet should be set for skimmer when trying to prime it. Sounds like you have separate lines for the skimmer and the main drain.

Getting a filter apart can be tough. With the equipment turned off, remove the "belt". Then open the air relief valve on the top. This should drain the water from the filter and allow you to take it apart.

Postby Guest » Fri 12 Jun, 2009 18:08

Have you got your pool running?

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”