Algae or Phosphates

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
ozmand
I'm new here
I'm new here

Algae or Phosphates

Postby ozmand » Thu 11 Jun, 2009 10:26

My pool has been taking chlorine as if there a chlorine-eating monster in the bottom! I finally got it to hold for a day with chlorine, but it's still very cloudy. I can only see 2 steps, not the bottom yet. Mostly blue, but still very cloudy.

I thought I saw some sand on the steps, but when I swipe it away, it makes a cloud - no sand. A few hours later, I see it's settled back on the steps. It looks dark colored, definitely not white sand.

My PH has been very low, from 6.8-7.1. My Pool Dealer says it's probably Phosphates, since he says, "PH would be very high if it was algae".

How can I tell if it's Phosphates or Mustard Algae or other type?

Thanks

Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Algae or Phosphates

Postby Me... » Thu 11 Jun, 2009 10:34

Its a floc type of stuff. Shocking with bad chemistry, especially pH can release this "dust". You need to very slowly and gently vacuum that stuff to waste to just get rid of it. If the water was already clear you might try a Polymer Clarifier. That stuff will stir up and bond together and the filter can then take it out.
ozmand
I'm new here
I'm new here

Algae or Phosphates

Postby ozmand » Thu 11 Jun, 2009 11:15

Me... wrote:Its a floc type of stuff. Shocking with bad chemistry, especially pH can release this "dust". You need to very slowly and gently vacuum that stuff to waste to just get rid of it.

Are you saying it's probably phosphates or some type of algae? I just don't know whether to keep hammering it with Chlorine Shock and Algecide Plus, or just leave it alone along as Chlorine is present....

Thanks!
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Algae or Phosphates

Postby Me... » Thu 11 Jun, 2009 21:03

Its neither, it is just what it appears to be, a dust. Balance your water properly now and vacuum that stuff to "WASTE" very slowly so as to not stir it up while vacuuming.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”