Inground leaking, tried almost everything

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
Joshopera
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Inground 15 x 30 Gunite. At least 40 years old.

Postby Joshopera » Sat 13 Jun, 2009 11:56

Water level falls to just below the water return. There are no cracks of any kind. Dug up pump hoses, found leak and repaired. Still leaks. Filter now spews sand into pool. Questions: Can changing the filter possibly eliminate the leak? Can the leak be in the main drain? If so what can be done? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

ChuckGeo
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby ChuckGeo » Sat 20 Jun, 2009 14:08

Given that the water drops just below the return fitting(s), inspect around the outside edges of the return(s), especially just under the return fitting(s). I often find leaks in this area. If the water hasn't fallen below the light, you'll need to inspect the niche and conduit for leaks. I'd discount a problem in the main drain if the water loss stops just below the return(s). Don't attempt to dye test with the water level down, refill the pool first.
The filter problem is another issue. I would suspect a broken lateral in the bottom of the filter allowing sand back to the pool. Replacing the filter won't help the leak problem unless the backwash valve is leaking to waste, in which case a new filter and valve would solve the leak and the sand problem.
Chuck
Owner, Superior Pool Services
25 years leak detection experience
Joshopera
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Inground 15 x 30 Gunite. At least 40 years old.

Postby Joshopera » Tue 30 Jun, 2009 15:09

Thank you for your reply. I don't have a light and there are no cracks around the returns. I may replace the filter and hope that solves it. Thanks again.
vinyl boy

Postby vinyl boy » Sat 04 Jul, 2009 09:04

Instead of throwing your money at a new filter which only needs a new lateral. spend your money on a company that does pool leak detection. to find someone in your area check out leaktools.com . Sounds like a main drain problem to me. plug off your plumbing and see if leak stops. if it does its in the plumbing if it continues its in the pool shell.
bap

Postby bap » Sun 12 Jul, 2009 19:07

The bottom of most skimmers conforms to the depth of pool returns. It is not uncommon to find a leak in the bottom of the skimmer itself or in the pipe that attaches to it (especially if it is threaded). Most skimmers have 2 holes on the bottom. If the failure is on the pipe feeding the pump (usually the back hole), the pump will work well for a while until it drains the cavity around the leak. Then air will begin to enter the system and the pump will begin to loose prime. If the leak is on the inside hole or the skimmer structure itself the pump will function fine but the pool will continue to drain to the level of the leak. Many of the first generation plastic skimmers have had to be replaced because of cracked female threads on the skimmer base. Some have had success with epoxy and an insert to bypass the crack.
LONG RANGER

Postby LONG RANGER » Sat 22 Aug, 2009 11:26

I have a pool leak around the outside concrete area of my pool, which is wet. What do I use?
kim

Postby kim » Sun 23 Aug, 2009 08:24

Hi, I can only tell you what I've used on my skimmer and cement leaks that has worked great. Been told this will not work on pvc. "A+B Epoxy putty." Costs about $20.00, cures underwater. Bought it at my local pool store. Good Luck
sunnysky

Postby sunnysky » Wed 02 Sep, 2009 15:44

did the epoxy work on pvc or plastic and stop the leak

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”