PH & Total Alkalinity too high

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
gwhitley
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 4' x 28' circular above ground pool. Hayward pump/motor and sand filter with in-line chlorinator.

PH & Total Alkalinity too high

Postby gwhitley » Sun 14 Jun, 2009 05:56

My family has a 4'x28' above ground pool. We have a severe problem with wind in our area and the cover came off before spring. We decided to surrender to mother nature and deal with pool later. Last week I cleaned and pumped out all, but 2-3" of water and refilled. Pool was filled with a soft water source. Due to weather and pump malfunction chemicals could not be added immediately. Pool turned green during this time.
Saturday I hooked everything back up and added 3 bags of supershock and began the process of circulating water and back washing filter every 2-3 hours, trying to kill and remove as much algae and contaminant as possible. Pool is cleaning up, but not clearing up. It still has a green tint and cloudy. The ph and total alkalinity is very high, but chlorine and cyanurc acid levels are great. Has the soft water(salt pellet system) effected the chemical levels in the water? And what do I get under control first-ph or total alkalinity? Thanks for any assistance and have a blessed day!

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”