PH and Total ALK

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
Roni

PH and Total ALK

Postby Roni » Sat 03 Jun, 2006 11:48

Both my PH an Total ALK are off the charts high. The amount of Acid required to bring my PH down is way less than for the Total ALK. If I put in enough for the Total ALK won't that make my PH too low.

Postby Guest » Tue 06 Jun, 2006 06:35

Look after your alkalinity issue first. Add the dose in thirds, over three evenings. The reason for this, is so you don't bottom out your pH. When your alkalinity is in the range you want, then look after the pH.

Re: PH and Total ALK

Postby Guest » Wed 23 Aug, 2006 12:54

Roni wrote:Both my PH an Total ALK are off the charts high. The amount of Acid required to bring my PH down is way less than for the Total ALK. If I put in enough for the Total ALK won't that make my PH too low.

I don't know if anyone has told you this. When treating for alkalinity with muriatic acid, you should shut off your pump and let the water become still,(1/2 -1 hour) then apply the acid to the deep end. Keep the pump off for 1 hour, then turn it back on. this creates an acid pocket that will work on the alkalinity without hurting the ph as much. Still keep an eye on the ph and raise as needed. you will feel like you are chasing your tail, but once the alkalinity normalizies it will be easier to maintain both TA and PH

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”