worn or broken pool parts
mkkandb
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 21 ft round above ground.haywood sand filter

Losing prime i think

Postby mkkandb » Tue 16 Jun, 2009 18:07

hi all new to this stuff.i have a 21 ft .above ground with a hayward
sand filter.after backwashing my guage reads 15 and return to pool is strong.but after 30min or so it reads 20 and is not that strong of a
return.also when i vac i don't have enough time before i lose the prime
all together?can anyone point me in the right direction .thanks

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Losing prime i think

Postby Denali » Wed 17 Jun, 2009 01:19

mkkandb wrote:hi all new to this stuff.i have a 21 ft .above ground with a hayward
sand filter.after backwashing my guage reads 15 and return to pool is strong.but after 30min or so it reads 20 and is not that strong of a
return.also when i vac i don't have enough time before i lose the prime
all together?can anyone point me in the right direction .thanks

When you lose prime is the filter pressure dropping to zero?
What condition is the pool in now? Clear, cloudy, filled with algae?
mkkandb
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 21 ft round above ground.haywood sand filter

Losing prime i think

Postby mkkandb » Wed 17 Jun, 2009 05:25

maybe i'm not losing prime.when i turn on the pump it starts out with 15 psi and has good
flow back to the pool.but after awhile when i vac or not the psi goes up to 20 or so. and the
flow back to the pol drops off to a drizzel.if i shut it down for awhile and restart same thing.
so i don't get enough time to vac up the bottom.the pool looks a little cloudy but i can see the bottom.the pool was hard plumbed to the skimmer .so i tried a hose instead still the same problem
check to see if all the fittings were tight and they are .also has a new filter head that didn't
fix the problem either.
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Losing prime i think

Postby Denali » Wed 17 Jun, 2009 05:37

mkkandb wrote:maybe i'm not losing prime.when i turn on the pump it starts out with 15 psi and has good
flow back to the pool.but after awhile when i vac or not the psi goes up to 20 or so. and the
flow back to the pol drops off to a drizzel.if i shut it down for awhile and restart same thing.
so i don't get enough time to vac up the bottom.the pool looks a little cloudy but i can see the bottom.the pool was hard plumbed to the skimmer .so i tried a hose instead still the same problem
check to see if all the fittings were tight and they are .also has a new filter head that didn't
fix the problem either.

When the pressure rises like that it means the filter is getting dirty. Backwashing should bring the pressure down and restore the flow. If the pool is cloudy you want to make sure any algae in the water is dead. How fast a filter gets dirty depends on pool condition, chemical balance, size of the filter and probably some other things I'm not thinking of.

It is normal for the filter to get dirty when the pool is dirty and you're cleaning it up.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”