Cloudy water despite TONS of work!

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
MelissaJm

Postby MelissaJm » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 07:24

I have had exactly the same problem this year in a 27' round. Added all the suggested chemicals including tons of alkalinity plus without result. Cannot get the PH to within normal levels yet (completely acid). was told to add clarifier directly to my skimmer basket to help, then backwash after 8hrs. As soon as it appears it may cleanup to the point where I can see the bottom, we vacuum, it turns green, then cloudy and we start again. I've had this pool with sand filter for 7years without a problem. So frustrated. The best result was vacuuming with bypass to waste on, but the have to stop when the water level drops to low. I've wondered if I can change the sand (or should) now that the pool is open, bit sand was changed 2 years ago, and I was told I shouldn't have to. Was also told that on the East Coast (live in CT), this was a common problem this year due to the two major storm last Fall...and acid water with cloudiness was common. Wondering if my pool will ever be swimmable this season. Anyone knows if the sand could be a problem, let me know. Melissa

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 18:55

Since your pH is low, I suspect you are using Trichlor pucks/tabs. For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases your Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm. The CYA builds up and makes chlorine less effective. Then algae can grow faster than chlorine can kill it and at first algae can make the water look dull or cloudy before it turns into a full-fledged green bloom. Read the Pool School to learn how to maintain your pool including getting a proper test kit.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”