High TA Normal ph

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
coffeegirl
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie
My Pool: 18x42 above ground

High TA Normal ph

Postby coffeegirl » Sat 20 Jun, 2009 10:21

I have a problem with high TA and low ph. A friend dumped salt in her pool to "soften" the water - she does NOT have a SWG-

What is the best way to decrease our TA? The water usually gets cloudy as the summer progresses... I've been adding ph down and trying to aerate by creating a whirlpool...

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

High TA Normal ph

Postby chem geek » Sat 20 Jun, 2009 14:48

See the procedure in this post. With your already low pH, it should be easy by just lowering it more (to 7.0) and aerating while adding acid when the pH rises.

However, your cloudiness may not be due to your high pH. You should first get a good test kit, either the Taylor K-2006 you can get at a good online price here or the TF100 you can get at tftestkits.net here with the latter kit having 36% more volume of reagents so is less expensive per test. Use The Pool Calculator to calculate the saturation index. Unless it's high, the cloudiness is more likely due to nascent algae growth so check your Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level and make sure your Free Chlorine (FC) is high enough relative to the CYA level.

Read more about how to maintain your pool at the Pool School . Read Defeating Algae in the Pool School if the cloudiness is algae.
coffeegirl
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie
My Pool: 18x42 above ground

High TA Normal ph

Postby coffeegirl » Sat 20 Jun, 2009 20:39

My TA is 380 and hardness 410. This is straight from our well. Would adding Salt or Borax help?
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

High TA Normal ph

Postby chem geek » Sun 21 Jun, 2009 01:40

No, adding salt certainly won't help. Adding borates would only slow down the rate of pH rise, but not the amount of acid you'd need to add over time. So really, you just have to get the TA lower via the procedure I linked to. The CH will remain high, but with a much lower TA that is OK.

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”