Can't find an answer...

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
PeraltoPool
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex 15' round metal frame

Can't find an answer...

Postby PeraltoPool » Mon 22 Jun, 2009 19:18

Hi!
I've been reading post after post since last night and am really just looking for a "this is how you start..." type thing. We bought an above ground pool a few weeks ago. 15' round intex. (4000 gallons) We've done nothing to it so far, but fill it.
Is there a step by step start-up guide somewhere? What do I buy and what order and when do I add it? I tried to use the pool calculator, but didn't understand it.

My uncle & cousin are pool service men, but they've just confused me, too. One gave me a floater and said to buy 3" tabs, but I've been reading that will lead to too much stabilizer eventually? Should I use bleach instead?

We're going to buy a test kit right now to have numbers.

Sorry to be such a noobie.

Can't find an answer...

Postby Guest » Mon 22 Jun, 2009 21:25

Get some 3" tabs. Don't worry abt too much stabilizer. It will take a while for that to build up, plus you need some stabilizer or all the chlorine will evaporate and you'll have nasty water. Get the test kit soon. Need to know where the Ph and alkalinity are at. If the Ph is too high, the chlorine won't be very effective and you'll get calcium build-up. If Ph is too low, it can corrode stuff. If you have a pool supply store close by, take an old plastic sode bottle rinse it out real good, fill it with pool water and take it to the pool store so they can test it. You'll need to fill the bottle and get it to them as quick as you can. It shouldn't be in the bottle more than 1 hr.
RMS1
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Can't find an answer...

Postby RMS1 » Mon 17 Aug, 2009 22:59

PeraltoPool wrote:Hi!
I've been reading post after post since last night and am really just looking for a "this is how you start..." type thing. We bought an above ground pool a few weeks ago. 15' round intex. (4000 gallons) We've done nothing to it so far, but fill it.
Is there a step by step start-up guide somewhere? What do I buy and what order and when do I add it? I tried to use the pool calculator, but didn't understand it.

My uncle & cousin are pool service men, but they've just confused me, too. One gave me a floater and said to buy 3" tabs, but I've been reading that will lead to too much stabilizer eventually? Should I use bleach instead?

We're going to buy a test kit right now to have numbers.

Sorry to be such a noobie.

http://www.clean-pool-and-spa.com

Lots of great info. Tell you about chlorine, pH, etc... How to add, when where why
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Can't find an answer...

Postby chem geek » Tue 18 Aug, 2009 00:07

Or you can look at the Pool School to find out even more.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”