Time to Superchlorinate?

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
kenlenard
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Inground, lagoon-shaped, cement w/liner, about 18k gallons

Time to Superchlorinate?

Postby kenlenard » Tue 23 Jun, 2009 08:29

I have an inground pool, lagoon shape that is 19x36. It has a surface space about approx 648 sq ft. It's saltwater and is in its 2nd year of use. It's about 18k gallons. The pool practically ran itself last season. I filter about 12 hours a day. This season I put Biogard Stabilizer 100 in the pool along with Therma-Swim liquid solar-blanket to avoid evap and heat loss. My salt PPM have been between 2800 and 3000 since the pool opened in late May. We have had some brutal rains over the last week and the pool turned cloudy 2 days ago. My chlorine test shows "ideal", around 1.5, leaning higher than that. My pH test shows 7.6-7.8 and my alkalinity shows about 90. I have the test kit with the small & large vials and 5 solutions. I increased my filter time and also turned on the SUPERCHLORINATE setting which will run for 24 hours and then shut off. The filter is Hayward (sand) and I backwashed yesterday... my pressure was only about half but I also backwashed because the pool was VERY full and the skimmers couldn't really function. Does it look like the massive amount of rain is to blame? Thank you in advance and I apologize for another cloudy water thread.

kenlenard
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Inground, lagoon-shaped, cement w/liner, about 18k gallons

Time to Superchlorinate?

Postby kenlenard » Wed 24 Jun, 2009 22:02

I spoke with the guys that installed my pool and asked if the recent heavy rains were the cause of the cloudy water.

Yes.

I asked if the SUPERCHLORINATE setting was right for this situation and they told me it was. Today the pool is crystal clear again. They also told me that hitting the SUPERCHLORINATE setting once every 1-2 weeks is a good idea to keep things at bay. Happy swimming.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”