Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
barbaranna
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Backwashing Filter

Postby barbaranna » Sat 27 Jun, 2009 01:04

I need to know what you do when you backwash filter and have no rinse cycle. Do you just backwash? My pressure gauge doesnt work so I just do it when I think it is necessary. I just read that when the skimmer isnt sucking water hard enough you should backwash. I never tested that before . I was always feeling where the water comes out of the jet in the return to see that it has a lot of force and when it loses it then backwash. That is wrong?

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Backwashing Filter

Postby Denali » Sat 27 Jun, 2009 13:37

barbaranna wrote:I need to know what you do when you backwash filter and have no rinse cycle. Do you just backwash? My pressure gauge doesnt work so I just do it when I think it is necessary. I just read that when the skimmer isnt sucking water hard enough you should backwash. I never tested that before . I was always feeling where the water comes out of the jet in the return to see that it has a lot of force and when it loses it then backwash. That is wrong?

Hi,

What type of filter do you have? Sand?

You have it right. As the suction in the skimmer goes down the flow back to the pool goes down and you are in backwash territory. A new filter gauge is pretty cheap and easy to put on so you might consider that.

If you don't have the rinse setting then you backwash and set back to filter when done.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”