shocked it green?!?!

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
woodpool

shocked it green?!?!

Postby woodpool » Sat 27 Jun, 2009 14:11

2 days ago we had the fire company fill our new 18 foot easy set pool which is about 5500 gallons. I started by testing and the pH was just between 7.2 and 7.5 and obviously no chlorine at all seeing that we live in the sticks and they just used their well. I added the appropriate amount of shock it to the water with the pump running and within about 10 minutes the pool is now a lovely shade of yellow green. Keep in mind it was crystal clear before I started... very frustrating. THe chemical guide says not to retest the pH or the chlorine for 24 hours. Does anyone have a clue why it would have turned this color and is it going to go clear again? I am really not in the mood to pay another $200 to start over.

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Shocked it green?!?!

Postby Denali » Sat 27 Jun, 2009 14:45

woodpool wrote:2 days ago we had the fire company fill our new 18 foot easy set pool which is about 5500 gallons. I started by testing and the pH was just between 7.2 and 7.5 and obviously no chlorine at all seeing that we live in the sticks and they just used their well. I added the appropriate amount of shock it to the water with the pump running and within about 10 minutes the pool is now a lovely shade of yellow green. Keep in mind it was crystal clear before I started... very frustrating. THe chemical guide says not to retest the pH or the chlorine for 24 hours. Does anyone have a clue why it would have turned this color and is it going to go clear again? I am really not in the mood to pay another $200 to start over.

Hi,

Well water is often high in dissolved metals. Add chemicals and bingo, instant color. You will want to use a sequestering agent that will bind the metals. If you are able to have your water tested or the well water, have it checked for metals so you know what you're dealing with.
Lillian
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x4 ft, nothing fancy, above ground, bought at menards

Shocked it green?!?!

Postby Lillian » Sun 12 Jul, 2009 08:29

hey..i am having the same problem...i am past the frustrated mark!! had the pool going on 3 1/2 weeks and have yet to swim in it...what is the problem??? we have done the shock thing..added ph minus and boom...green..the sad thing is..all of our numbers are right on except the alklanitiy....we have drained the pool 2 times because of this problem...i have added the chemicle for hard water and it has yet to do anything!!!!im thinking buying a pool wasnt as fun as i had hoped it would be!!! plz let me know what u did to help with your problem!!!

shocked it green?!?!

Postby Guest » Fri 17 Jul, 2009 21:55

OK I had the same problem 3 years ago and still everytime I do any mateince to our pool. So I took our water into the pool supply store, they said they could sell me tons of exspencive chemicals but a quick cheep fix would be to go to a paint supply store or Manards or Fleet farm and buy a gallon of muradic acid.
Balance and Shock the pool first (of couse it will change wonderful colors) let it run for a few hrs.
After a few hrs, stop the pump, pour the acid in slowly and not to mix it just let it sit for 4 hrs or more, when you see it getting almost clear turn the pump back on and let it run. it is ok to swim in it then. your pool should be crystal clear! we do this all the time and we have no promlems at all! hope this helps.
The acid should not mess with the P.H. levels.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

shocked it green?!?!

Postby chem geek » Sat 18 Jul, 2009 02:37

Pool User wrote:The acid should not mess with the P.H. levels.

Huh? Acid lowers both pH and TA. A lower pH will tend to dissolve metal stains if they are fresh and it will tend to redissolve suspended precipitate, but this is a temporary solution and what is needed at that point is a metal sequestrant. Eventually, dilution with water that is low or free of metals is what is needed.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”