sand filter-cloudy water coming out jet

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
kajuk

Postby kajuk » Sun 28 Jun, 2009 17:49

I couldn't seem to get the water to clear up. It stays cloudy, to day I noticed the water coming out of the outlet jet was cloudy. When I looked at the water closely it has fine particles floating in the water. I assume the filter is not working properly. When I backwash the backwash discharge is dirty so I thought the filter was working. After I backwash I do not get the cloudy water coming from the outlet. after about a half a day then I notice the cloudy water coming out.

Aquaclear-NZ
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient
My Pool: ingound, 50,000L, gas heated, low energy pump and cartridge filter

Sand filter-cloudy water coming out jet

Postby Aquaclear-NZ » Tue 30 Jun, 2009 03:51

sounds like you are about due for a sand change. This should be doen every 5 - 6 years
Chocolate fish do not swim in hot water
Kajuk

Postby Kajuk » Tue 30 Jun, 2009 08:28

Thanks Ill give it a try :D
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Tue 30 Jun, 2009 09:39

Sounds more like you are not rinsing. If your are then yes you need to pull the sand out but pay VERY close attention the the laterals inside. It sounds like 1 or more are cracked or broken.
kaju
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: above ground 24x4 sand filter with 1 hp pump.

Postby kaju » Thu 09 Jul, 2009 09:30

I am about to take the filter apart. First question is how much sand should be in the filter? 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, full? I know I will be able to wee if one of the laterals are broken That will be obvious when I take it apart.
How will I know if the sand needs to be replaced? Is there a sign or something to look for if the sand needs to be replaced? Or should I just go ahead and replace it while I have it apart.
If you have any other ideas at this point please say something to me at this point before I tackle this.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”