Green pool won't go away!!

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.

Postby Guest » Tue 30 Jun, 2009 09:18

Hi I'm new and also new to owning a pool. I have a 40,000 gallon in ground pool made out of concrete. I have a sand filter, I will get all the details later I don't know the brand for filter and pump. I have use schock like the pool store guy said and algicide and stuff to clear the water and is still green. all this stuff is expensive and he wants me to buy another case of super schock. Could liquid chlorine or bleach be enough to clean it? thanks

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Tue 30 Jun, 2009 21:37

Pool User wrote:Hi I'm new and also new to owning a pool. I have a 40,000 gallon in ground pool made out of concrete. I have a sand filter, I will get all the details later I don't know the brand for filter and pump. I have use schock like the pool store guy said and algicide and stuff to clear the water and is still green. all this stuff is expensive and he wants me to buy another case of super schock. Could liquid chlorine or bleach be enough to clean it? thanks

Hi,

Yes, liquid chorine or bleach would be enough to clear it if you are dealing with algae. If you have the numbers of your chemical balance, post them. You need to know your CYA level to know how high of a FC level is needed. (CYA= stabilizer, FC= free chlorine)
elcamello
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 40,000 gallon in-ground pool. Sand filter

Postby elcamello » Wed 22 Jul, 2009 22:31

ok here is the numbers for the test

CYA:0
FC:0
Total Chlorine: 0
PH: 8.1
TDS: 600
Total Alkalinity: 168
total hardness; 382

They told me I need it :
40 Gallons of liquid chlorine
3/4 Gallon of Muriatic acid
12lbs of stabilizer Cyanuric Acid

What do you guys think thats alot of chlorine?

Also what can I use to lower the water hardness, that I don't have to buy at the pool store?

thanks for the help
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Thu 23 Jul, 2009 02:46

elcamello wrote:ok here is the numbers for the test

CYA:0
FC:0
Total Chlorine: 0
PH: 8.1
TDS: 600
Total Alkalinity: 168
total hardness; 382

They told me I need it :
40 Gallons of liquid chlorine
3/4 Gallon of Muriatic acid
12lbs of stabilizer Cyanuric Acid

What do you guys think thats alot of chlorine?

Also what can I use to lower the water hardness, that I don't have to buy at the pool store?

thanks for the help

Hi,

That is a lot of chlorine but a pool that is really green may take quite a bit to clear. If you are able to see the bottom of the pool now you probably don't need that much.

The cyanuric acid you do need. Without it your chlorine disappears quickly. The muriatic acid will bring down the TA and pH. When I need to add a lot of chemicals I start with small doses (like a qt. of muriatic and maybe 8 lbs of CYA). This way you don't overshoot the mark you are looking for.

It is tough if you have to run to the pool store each time you want to have your water tested. A good test kit is really a must when you own a pool. I have the Taylor K-2006. Expensive but allows you to fully test your water.

As for the chlorine, you want to raise the FC level to shock levels and keep it there until your pool is clear. If you can't test you don't know when you're at shock level which makes it tough. As your CYA level goes up (when you add in the cyanuric acid you have) the shock level goes up. For example, if your CYA level was at 30ppm you would want a FC level of about 12ppm. If CYA went to 50ppm you'd need a shock level of about 20ppm.

This all sounds complicated but it really isn't. There are pool calculators online that will tell you the levels you need and the amount of chlorine needed to reach that level. Here is one: http://www.poolcalculator.com/

Your hardness level is fine. No need to worry on that yet.

Also, when trying to get rid of algae, BRUSH THE POOL!

Hope this helps and didn't confuse too much.
camello

Postby camello » Fri 24 Jul, 2009 11:42

Thanks it helps. I'm going to order a test kit so I don't run to the store everytime. The water is clear and there is light green algea on the bottom I will use 8 lbs of CYA to start and 26 gallons of liquid chlorine at 10%. 1 gallon of Marutic Acid. Hope to see result from this.
Grasshopper

Postby Grasshopper » Thu 13 Aug, 2009 11:18

I have had a pool since 1983. This is my worst year ever. Too much rain has got my pool green. I have done everything and can't get it clear again! I even drained about 20,000 gal of water to get it clear. It's better but still green tintd water. Can't see bottom n deep end! We have spent MANY $ on chemicals. I know if PH and Chlorine are correct everything else falls into place, NOT!!!!!!!!!!
superdoopie
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby superdoopie » Thu 13 Aug, 2009 20:49

It sounds like your filter isn't doing it's job. If it's sand you might want to replace the sand or replace the whole thing with a DE filter. If you have a DE filter, open the tank and check the internal element for cracks in the plastic and tears in the fabric. If it's cartridge check for tears in the element.
ol kev

Postby ol kev » Fri 14 Aug, 2009 11:42

If you have a tear in the filter grids, the pool will blow DE back into the pool. There is no need to remove the filter cover. Backwash, and refil the filter. Set the system to normal circulation and check for DE blowing back into the pool through the jets.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”