Need real help

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Bowstar23

Need real help

Postby Bowstar23 » Sun 04 Jun, 2006 20:42

So my mother has wasted thousands of dollars on chemicals over the years always to have a cloudy pool. This is what I can tell you:

She always has a problem of chlorine not showing up in tests,

ph is always a little low

Checked the alkainity today and seemed pretty high if i did the test right ( 400ppm)

yellow on all plastic parts, Jets are hard to move because of this.

Calcium deposits??? behind th liner (hard bumps behind vinyl)

brown alge ( I think) on steps, stairs and sides was told it was mustard alge 2 previous years.

No one has ever came out to pool to check it. I think the pool supply co is just trying to get as much $ as they can

Can someone help me??????????

margaretdie

Need real help

Postby margaretdie » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 14:22

I'm no expert, but i do know that if your Ph is low the chlorine isn't as effective... If using liquid chlorine use at night as it evaporates in the sun. do not use a copper based algaecide with chlorine and dont shock your pool at the same time you use an algaecide.,You may also want to check the hardness of the pools water as if its not at a good level it can leave deposits and can damage your equipment.
good luck .
diana
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Need real help

Postby chem geek » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 17:52

You should get yourself a good test kit, the Taylor K-2006 or the TFTestkits TF-100 so you can truly know what is going on with your pool.

Usually, if the TA is as high as you describe, then the pH would tend to rise unless the pool was covered. Perhaps you are using Trichlor pucks for chlorine as these are acidic so would compensate for such rise in pH. Trichlor will build up Cyanuric Acid (CYA) in the pool making the chlorine less effective. As the previous poster noted, you should test your Calcium Hardness (CH) level since that may also be high and a high combination of TA, CH and/or pH can lead to scaling. You can enter your numbers into The Pool Calculator to calculate the saturation index.

Some corrections from the previous post: It is not true that chlorine is less effective at low pH; it's the opposite though not by very much when CYA is in the water. Also, using liquid chlorine is no different than using any other source of chlorine -- if there is CYA already in the water then the chlorine will be protected from sunlight regardless of the source of chlorine.

If your CYA is high, then some water replacement will be required and that will also help your TA unless the TA of your fill water is high. You should test your fill water anyway to see if it is high in TA and CH. Read the Pool School to learn more about how to manage your pool.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”