Pipe size and PSI

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
schmitty
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie
My Pool: 24' round above ground (4' high)
Jacuzzi sand filter
Jacuzzi 1.5 HP pump
Children with dirty feet

Pipe size and PSI

Postby schmitty » Wed 01 Jul, 2009 08:42

I will be running a pipe from my filter to solar panels on my roof. They will run about 30' horizontal and then 20' to the roof. What is the most cost effective pipe/hose I should use and will pipe diameter effect my psi?
(I was told that the 20' rise would raise my pressure 8.6 psi - is this correct as well?)

Thanks.

Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Pipe size and PSI

Postby Me... » Wed 01 Jul, 2009 10:46

Correct. 1 psi equals 2.31 feet of head. You will also need to know what flow you want through the pipes. Post your pump and filter models.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Pipe size and PSI

Postby chem geek » Wed 01 Jul, 2009 14:44

Using 2.5" pipe for the longest runs vs. 2" pipe will result in a factor of 2.4 lower head loss and 2.4x better energy efficiency if you scale your pump size (or speed, with a variable speed pump) appropriately. I wish I had used larger pipe in my system that has long runs to/from the solar panels on the roof and also somewhat long runs to the pool.
schmitty
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie
Jacuzzi sand filter
Jacuzzi 1.5 HP pump
Children with dirty feet

Pipe size and PSI

Postby schmitty » Thu 02 Jul, 2009 07:43

The pump and filter are both made by Jacuzzi. The pump is a 1.5 HP and the filter is their Laser Sand model.

So what I gather so far (and I really appreciate everyone's help), is that I should convert from the pumps 1.5" to 2.5 (PVC ?) for the run and then convert down to whatever size the solar panel has. Is this correct?
schmitty
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie
Jacuzzi sand filter
Jacuzzi 1.5 HP pump
Children with dirty feet

Pipe size and PSI

Postby schmitty » Thu 02 Jul, 2009 08:44

I should also ask if PVC is best for the run and if I should get black (or paint it black).
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Pipe size and PSI

Postby Me... » Fri 03 Jul, 2009 09:49

Well a 1.5hp pump can easily do 100gpm with proper plumbing which means I would expect to see a 36" diameter filter there. As I recall Jacuzzi never made a 36" Laser so this has me concerned. Even moreso is that size equipment on a 24' round pool because of the small number of outlets and inlets that are typically on them.

If indeed the plumbing, pool and system will handle the 100 plus gpm then 2.5" plumbing would be needed as 2" is only good to around 90 or so. If you are using that big pump on 1.5" lines and using only 1 skimmer and a couple of returns then it won't matter a lot as there is already a ton of restriction in the system.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”