Happy Bottom Pad Urgent Question

Liner issues and problems installing or
maintaining above ground swimming pools.
Bmeister2
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: New Install, 24' Above Ground

Postby Bmeister2 » Sun 05 Jul, 2009 10:53

Hi ~
My pool installer is coming tomorrow and I really need help with making the decision. I purchased an above ground 24’ round pool and I also purchase the accessory package. The accessory package came with the happy bottom pad. My pool installer said not to install it. He stated that they come apart and leave creases in the liner that is hard to clean. I have search high and low to find others that have used this pad (or one similar) and no one really post any negatives on it. We have a clay base and sand on top. I also just spoke with a man that has had three above ground pools and he said the next one he puts up he is definitely putting in the pad. I was told it helps to maintain the heat and keeps things from coming up thru the sand. (I live in Northern Indiana so maintaining heat may be an issue) I am just wondering if the pool installer is just trying to be lazy and still charge me an arm and a leg for installation or if it really is not a good idea to use. Please can anyone help me out here?? I want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Thanks so much!!!

Wisconsin swimmer

Postby Wisconsin swimmer » Tue 08 Sep, 2009 10:58

I put in a Happy Bottom three summers ago when replacing the liner in our 18x33 above ground. Hate it. It slips a bit, can be moved by walking, leaves creases that collect dirt and algea. We are planning to rip out the liner and remove the not-so-happy bottom next spring. A good sand layer should suffice - we went 8 years without the happy bottom and had a smoother floor. The heat issue seems absurd - can't imagine how a little foam pad is going to make any differance with the water temp.

Return to “Liner & Above Ground Pools”