algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
needhelpwithpool
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 4X15 Above Ground

Used FLOC...now what????

Postby needhelpwithpool » Sun 12 Jul, 2009 20:16

I have a small above ground swimming pool that we purchased this year (13x4 ft). Our pool turned green so I went to the local pool supply place and was told to shock the pool, add PH, then use FLOC and let the pool sit without the pump running. I did that and the pool was crystal clear this morning and all of the "gunk" on the bottom. I was told to vacuum the pool, but the vacuum that comes with the pool is just the net kind that catches the leaves, etc...not the kind that actually pumps the water out. If I vacuum it, it is just going to stir the gunk around...what do I do????? I am so frustrated...we got this pool so that my daughter would have something fun to look forward to over the summer, but we haven't been able to use it in a couple of weeks and now I could just cry...I feel like I have totally messed up. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Used FLOC...now what????

Postby Denali » Sun 12 Jul, 2009 22:59

needhelpwithpool wrote:I have a small above ground swimming pool that we purchased this year (13x4 ft). Our pool turned green so I went to the local pool supply place and was told to shock the pool, add PH, then use FLOC and let the pool sit without the pump running. I did that and the pool was crystal clear this morning and all of the "gunk" on the bottom. I was told to vacuum the pool, but the vacuum that comes with the pool is just the net kind that catches the leaves, etc...not the kind that actually pumps the water out. If I vacuum it, it is just going to stir the gunk around...what do I do????? I am so frustrated...we got this pool so that my daughter would have something fun to look forward to over the summer, but we haven't been able to use it in a couple of weeks and now I could just cry...I feel like I have totally messed up. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi,

You need a vacuum hose and head that attaches to a pole. Without it or some type of auto cleaner you won't get the "gunk" out. Once you have a vacuum you want to vacuum to waste if your system allows it.
needhelpwithpool
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 4X15 Above Ground

Used FLOC...now what????

Postby needhelpwithpool » Sun 12 Jul, 2009 23:30

Our system won't vacuum to waste so what would I need to do?

Thanks for responding so quickly...I am so down about this whole thing...especially with school starting back up soon and us not being able to use the pool.
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Used FLOC...now what????

Postby Denali » Mon 13 Jul, 2009 01:11

needhelpwithpool wrote:Our system won't vacuum to waste so what would I need to do?

Thanks for responding so quickly...I am so down about this whole thing...especially with school starting back up soon and us not being able to use the pool.

What type of filter system do you have? If its one of those with the paper filter it would be tough to vacuum the mess out. You'd have to change filters over and over.

One thing comes to mind in your situation. If you get the vacuum equipment you could prime the hose and take the end of the hose that would go in the skimmer and put it outside the pool. If you can keep the syphon going you would be able to slowly vacuum up the mess.

Again, it depends on the system you have but another idea is to disconnect the hose leading from the pump to the filter. Then when you vacuum the water would not go into the filter. How your system is connected would determine if that would be something worth trying.

Used FLOC...now what????

Postby Guest » Mon 13 Jul, 2009 08:16

Ok...another question for you...

Am I better off draining the pool and just refilling it? I am going to a pool supply place today to ask about vacuums, but I am guessing they will be expensive for the type you are talking about??? Since the pool guy got me into this mess, I am scared to ask their opinion anymore!!!
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Used FLOC...now what????

Postby Denali » Mon 13 Jul, 2009 22:29

Pool User wrote:Ok...another question for you...

Am I better off draining the pool and just refilling it? I am going to a pool supply place today to ask about vacuums, but I am guessing they will be expensive for the type you are talking about??? Since the pool guy got me into this mess, I am scared to ask their opinion anymore!!!

The vacuum equipment really isn't expensive. Less than $100 for the hose and vacuum head and pole. If you're going to have a pool you really need a way to vacuum.

As for draining, it depends on what caused it to turn green to begin with. If your fill water is full of metals (are you filling with well water?) you'll be in the same place you were in and having to deal with the metals.

I would have your fill water tested for metals to see what you're dealing with before draining and refilling.
Tara B

Used FLOC...now what????

Postby Tara B » Wed 19 Aug, 2009 13:33

You can buy a little spa vacum for around 30.00 and a water hose attaches to it. while the pool is still, get inside, and run it around with a sock attached to the hose then the net covering it. It gets out more stuff that way! I use it, and it gets crystal clear.
nocturnalsheep
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Used FLOC...now what????

Postby nocturnalsheep » Mon 24 Aug, 2009 18:18

Yes, you would be better off just draining and refilling. The hassle and money that is required to remove algae from a pool that size is not worth it. Just ask your water provider how much it would cost to drain and make sure it isn't too pricey. No vacuum, unless you are vacuuming to waste will be able to get rid of the algae spores you are vacuuming up. And even if you were able to kill the algae, you only make the next algae bloom stronger if you do that rather than physically removing it (by vacuuming to waste).

Just drain it, scrub the surface with a bleach/water solution (to kill any remaining algae clinging to the walls) and refill.

In the future, don't use floc in your pool, it is absolutely pointless.

Another thing...metals typically won't turn the water green. They will usually turn the water brown or yellowish. If that is an issue, use a prefilter to filter out metals as you fill (it should attach to your garden hose). If that doesn't get it all (this might happen if you have iron bacteria in your source water), just use a metal remover until you get it all out. Just make sure that the metal remover you use doesn't have a high concentration of phosphates (this will feed algae).

-Danny

"the pool whisperer"
-Danny
Water Analyst/Retail Sales Consultant

"the pool whisperer"
mbo2o

Re: Used FLOC...now what????

Postby mbo2o » Sun 07 Jan, 2018 08:26

Guest wrote:Ok...another question for you...

If you can Drain the pool then that is exactly the same as Vacuuming to Waste. You just have one additional stem. You will need a plate to place in the skimmer box, to this plate you need to attach a Vacuum hose , to the end of the hose you need to attach a vacuum head and a pole to the head.

Them you start the pump to drain the pool, make sure the plate is sitting securely in the skimmer box so all the water is sucked from the hose.

Then very gently slide the vacuum head along the floor of the pool until you have removed all the debris.

Turn of the pump id the basket get clogged with junk ,clean and then continue.

when your done turn of the pump and top up the pool with water.

Finally if the pool is reasonably clean, back wash and rinse your filter, clean the basket and run the pump overnight to remove whatever small amount is left.

If is is still dirty because you stirred up the debris from the bottom while vacumming, leave it for 24 hours and try to vacuum again the next day.

When all done, take a water sample to a pool shop and re balance the pool chemicals and enjoy your pool.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Used FLOC...now what????

Postby Teapot » Mon 08 Jan, 2018 02:58

nocturnalsheep wrote:
In the future, don't use floc in your pool, it is absolutely pointless.

That statement isn't actually true, used correctly floc can and does help. I say used correctly because the pool industry generally doesn't. Floc needs to be rapidly mixed into the water where it will cause coagulation and then flocculation which will join small particles together, making bigger particles (Floc's) so they can be filtered out. Just chucking into the pool and switching off the pump is not how it works, is that how you think the drinking water suppliers do it?

Just switching off the pump turns a pool into a settling tank without the use of flock, just vacuum to waste and WITHOUT getting into the pool.

Draining the pool is not exactly the same as vacuuming to waste, draining wastes a lot of water unnecessarily.

It was a 2009 post.

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”