Teflon tape in lieu of "O" rings

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
RPrinceton
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby RPrinceton » Fri 17 Jul, 2009 15:06

Hi Everyone,
I have a salt cell that must be routinely cleaned. It has an "O" ring on each end. Due to the tight tolerances, it is difficult to remove and many times I inadvertently tear the "O" ring(s). Is it possible to wrap teflon tape around the plastic threads of the salt cell to hopefully eliminate the need for the "O" rings. I am located in AZ where the temperature soars. Thanks in advance.
Please advise.
Regards,
RPrinceton

Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Tue 21 Jul, 2009 09:05

No. Fittings that use teflon or other thread sealant actually seal with the threads as they are tapered, called Pipe threads. If the fitting uses an o-ring then the thread will not be tapered in the same way a bolt is not tapered.
RMS1
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby RMS1 » Sat 22 Aug, 2009 01:03

RPrinceton wrote:Hi Everyone,
I have a salt cell that must be routinely cleaned. It has an "O" ring on each end. Due to the tight tolerances, it is difficult to remove and many times I inadvertently tear the "O" ring(s). Is it possible to wrap teflon tape around the plastic threads of the salt cell to hopefully eliminate the need for the "O" rings. I am located in AZ where the temperature soars. Thanks in advance.
Please advise.
Regards,
RPrinceton

I have an inline Chloromatic salt cell at the Y, 80,000 gallon pool. It's bugger to get on and off so I can empathize with you. If it has o-rings then use o-rings. I bit more expensive but less headaches would be to re-plumb the lines for a little more expansion.

http://clean-pool-and-spa.com

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”