Lemony taste in my pool water

Total hardness and calcium hardness in pool water.
Scale, calcium buildup, hard water and scaling problems.
2kids2cats2dogs

Postby 2kids2cats2dogs » Sun 19 Jul, 2009 07:03

I was wondering why my pool water has a 'lemony' taste to it? Other people have noticed it, my levels all seem to come out ok when I use the test strips, ph is on the lower side and hardness is on the higher side, but all within normal range. I do shock the pool about once a week due to a lot of little kids going in and out, but a few people commented about the lemony taste, and I checked myself, and it does in fact taste lemony. Do you have any idea why this would happen and how I can get rid of it? No one is drinking my pool water, it just gets into your mouth while you are swimming:)
thanks!!

JamesWPoolPerson

Postby JamesWPoolPerson » Thu 23 Jul, 2009 02:21

What chemicals have you added?

Have you used any ascorbic acid?
JamesWPoolperson

Postby JamesWPoolperson » Thu 23 Jul, 2009 20:56

The lemony taste/smell is most likely from scented bleach.

For some reason, bleach makers have begun to add scents or flavors to bleach such as "Citrus" or "Lemon" :thumbdown: .
It is important to double check when you buy bleach that it says Regular, Original or Unscented. Since the scented bleaches are right next to the regular bleach, and they look almost identical, it is easy to make a mistake.

Today, as I was adding original unscented bleach to my pool I detected a distinct lemony or citrus smell coming from the bleach. I assume that the bottle was mislabeled or that there may have been some sort of cross-contamination. Therefore, even when you double-check that the label says unscented, you should still smell the bleach to verify that it is unscented.

Be careful when smelling the bleach so as not to breathe too much.

As to how to get rid of the smell/taste? I don't know. It was designed to survive in full strength bleach, so it may take a while to dissipate.

I am going to file a complaint with the bleach maker and ask them to provide some answers.
______________________________________________________________________________________

Note to makers of bleach: Please stop with this idiotic nonsense. We do NOT need flavored bleach. Do you think that people are drinking this stuff? Why are you trying to induce people to inhale chlorine? :evil:
______________________________________________________________________________________

Return to “Hard Pool Water & Scale”