Complete newby with pool problems..please help

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
budabell
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Outdoor Salt water system, approx 6m x 3m, gunite crafted. not sure about pump etc

Postby budabell » Wed 22 Jul, 2009 10:15

Hi :) , I am totally new to the problems associated with owning a swimming pool, so hope someone can lend me a hand. Back in December we had a salt water swimming pool built in our garden....wonderful, we never hd any after care instructions as we were told that the salt water systems dont need any maintenance, so we left it. to cut along story short we ended up with a very very high ph level and lots of algae, (thats what we were told any how) so, i bought some algae killer and a ph lowerer in powder form. Hey presto,problem solved. Since then every week I check the ph level which now it is summer, is always on the high side and treat it accordingly with the powder stuff I bought. 2 weeks ago I noticed that the grout on the pool bottom was starting to look like there was a lot of dirt collecting on it, just as it had happened before. so i gave it a quick dose of algae killer and put some more ph lowerer in at the same time. Now, I have noticed that around the water line and in the filter thing there is a pale green line, also it is on some of the grout near the steps. I have testd the ph level and that is reading ok, on the bottom of the pool it looks like there is dirt gathering in the grout lines. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME SORT THIS OUT, SORRY FOR THE STORY BUT ITS THE ONLY WAY I KNOW HOW TO EXPLAIN...AS I SAID I KNOW ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING ABOUT POOL MAINTENANCE.
Thank you in anticipation :wave:

superdoopie

Postby superdoopie » Wed 22 Jul, 2009 15:04

If you have a salt chlorine generator your salt level may be low. At 6m x 3m this is a relatively small pool so backwashing and refilling, rain and splash out can lower the salt level in the water. Check the salt level in the pool, most need at least 2.0 gallons per liter (2000ppm) and at most 4.0gpl (4000ppm) to make chlorine. The controller for the generator may have a button to press that shows the salinity or led lights that show "add salt."

Algae always forms in the roughest parts of the pool. Is the plaster rough where the algae is. Check your calcium level because if it is too low or too high it can cause rough plaster.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 22 Jul, 2009 23:54

Also, read Water Balance for SWGs as well as other articles in the Pool School.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”