New house,new/1st pool concerns

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
audiobull
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: ????

Postby audiobull » Sat 01 Aug, 2009 15:56

hi all
another newbie
so just moved in and it come complete with a pool. (unsure of size as it was getting dark by the time i finished) i have completely emptied it today and started shifting all the debri and algie out (hasnt been used for over 1 yr or more).i did a little homework last night before i pumped the water out and feel i am ok with regards to water level and it boating as we are on top of a hill....only house and surrounded by fields. ive got a pump house (shed falling to bits) with sand filter,old looking heat exchanger and a pump with the pump motor in bits!
the main drain is completely blocked with dirt and the walls are what seems to be limescale coated?
the top of the concrete or plaster coating has opened or split at the top in some places(above the water and pool not leaking) purhaps caused by the freezing of the water.
im a little stuck in a rut here and have come for some well welcomed advice.
id like to know if its worth acid cleaning or re-painting and sealing the cracks?
i take it the pump house will need to be sorted before i clean or acid clean such as pump replacement?
i have half the pump with a filter like part on it so can i just replace the motor or is it worth doing the whole lot?
will all the pool piping be blocked?/if so how can i clean,flush it all out?
i have some pics so will get them uploaded when i can.
the old pump was 0.75hp (0,55kw) if that helps with sizing or not. its around 10+ ft at the deep end
hope i havnt bored anyone but not sure what i have actually taken on.

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Sun 02 Aug, 2009 23:56

audiobull wrote:hi all
another newbie
so just moved in and it come complete with a pool. (unsure of size as it was getting dark by the time i finished) i have completely emptied it today and started shifting all the debri and algie out (hasnt been used for over 1 yr or more).i did a little homework last night before i pumped the water out and feel i am ok with regards to water level and it boating as we are on top of a hill....only house and surrounded by fields. ive got a pump house (shed falling to bits) with sand filter,old looking heat exchanger and a pump with the pump motor in bits!
the main drain is completely blocked with dirt and the walls are what seems to be limescale coated?
the top of the concrete or plaster coating has opened or split at the top in some places(above the water and pool not leaking) purhaps caused by the freezing of the water.
im a little stuck in a rut here and have come for some well welcomed advice.
Hi,

Pics may help so for now just some general ideas for you. You may try acid washing an area of the pool to see how it responds. I don't like painted pools but that is just my personal preference. Calling in a company that does replastering will give you an idea of the cost involved and also their opinion on what needs doing.

id like to know if its worth acid cleaning or re-painting and sealing the cracks?
i take it the pump house will need to be sorted before i clean or acid clean such as pump replacement?
i have half the pump with a filter like part on it so can i just replace the motor or is it worth doing the whole lot?
If the remains of the pump is really old a whole new one might be the ticket. You can replace the motor only and save some money but newer pumps might give you some needed extra flow.
will all the pool piping be blocked?/if so how can i clean,flush it all out?
You will want to flush the lines now that you have the pool empty. First clear as much dirt and debris from the drain etc. Now you can run a hose from the pump, backwards toward the pool and see if you get water coming out. Stick the hose into the return lines and see if you get dirt flushing out.
i have some pics so will get them uploaded when i can.
the old pump was 0.75hp (0,55kw) if that helps with sizing or not. its around 10+ ft at the deep end
hope i havnt bored anyone but not sure what i have actually taken on.
The pump sizing depends on the size of the pipes in your system. Also the water volume will determine how big you want to go with pump and filter. Hope this gives you a start.
audiobull
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: ????

Postby audiobull » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 01:15

its does help thankyou. i will get some pictures up, measure the pool,pipe sizes and get someone in to have a look...(i take it they dont charge to have a look?)
aha was wondering how i could clean the drain as i cant get the grill/grate up.
looks like the plaster has been painted. blue below water line with a white strip above water.
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 02:39

audiobull wrote:its does help thankyou. i will get some pictures up, measure the pool,pipe sizes and get someone in to have a look...(i take it they dont charge to have a look?)
aha was wondering how i could clean the drain as i cant get the grill/grate up.
looks like the plaster has been painted. blue below water line with a white strip above water.

Where I live they don't charge but that may be different where you are.

Is the main drain cover held on by screws?

If you get a company to come have a look they can tell you if it's painted. Repainting may be the way to go if that is the case.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”