Water return woes

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
btcrazee
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24 foot above ground with sand filter

Water return woes

Postby btcrazee » Tue 04 Aug, 2009 21:42

I am so disgusted I could scream. I have a 24 ft above ground pool that suddenly began to lose water. I called out the local pool company and they told me there was a hole. Yes, but as anyone can see, that hole is above the water line. I was thinking maybe it was well below the water as I saw nothing and started to pump water out. I had to leave it for a couple days and noticed that the water level was the same. I called them back out and asked them to check the skimmer and return. Evidently they checked it for leaks on the outside which I could see myself no water was leaking...DUH. So I decided as the next step to refill the pool in increments. I put water in, marked the level on the steps with a magic marker and let it sit over night. When it got up over the bottom of the return, bingo, it leaked down. I think it is losing water at the bottom of the return. I think the water is running out between the liner and the wall, and running out under the edge of the pool. My burning question is, how do I get this thing off? When I get it off does it need a bead of silicon, a gasket or what?? I am not real mechanically inclined and see no obvious screws like in the skimmer and have found nothing online to give me a clue. TIA

Vinyl Master
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Water return woes

Postby Vinyl Master » Tue 04 Aug, 2009 22:50

Here are a couple of things you can try. The return fitting is held onto the wall with a large octagonal nut that threads on the back of the return fitting try to tighten it with a large wrench. You could also try some under water silicone around the outside of the return faceplate from inside of the pool. Good luck

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”