Cloudy/hazy hard water problem

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
tigger95s
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

Postby tigger95s » Mon 10 Aug, 2009 16:15

Hi,
This is our first year with a 15X4 pop up pool.We opened it up with metal out(the prior lady told us to use it with our hard water) it took out the iron easily.
Pool stayed good for about 3 weeks then went cloudy/hazy.We tried shocking,algacide and other things and nothing was working. It was not an algae bloom,as we drained it a few weeks later to start over it was not slimy.But we did have an orangish tint at the bottom but no signs of algae.

Started over,great the first 2 weeks and then it went cloudy again.We still cannot get it to clear up.I started using stabilizer,it helped some but not enough.

My levels are:
TH- 400-1000 at all times
FC usually around the 2/4 to 3/6 mark
PH kept at around 7.2
TA is around 120-180 at all times
CYA is always at a 0 mark

Some days I can see the bottom slightly and am seeing it sorta stringy hazy/cloudy looking ,if that makes any sense to you.

Our main chemicals we use daily are chlorine float and the filter filled with tabs. I check the ph every so many days and rarely have to alter it. Shock it weekly to twice a week depending on trying to clear it up....(I just don't want to waste money if its a hard water ordeal)
The day after shocking we add algaecide and then clarifier (that's what the lady told us to use).....

We are wondering if its our hard water causing the problems or just our problem of not doing something correctly?

So any help would be appreciate...please talk basics to me as I don't know a TON about pool stuff now adays,but the basics from when I was younger and having a pool then.

tfagan
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

Postby tfagan » Tue 11 Aug, 2009 17:28

orange tint or yellow tint? may be yellow algae problem. chlorine doesn't affect yellow algae. requires a special treatment and shock. stirring up the water.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Tue 11 Aug, 2009 21:33

It is not true that chlorine does not affect yellow algae. It is true that yellow/mustard algae is more resistant to chlorine, but it can still be killed by chlorine. For regular green algae, the shock level of chlorine is 40% of the CYA level, but for yellow/mustard algae it is an FC that is 60% of the CYA level (of course, this assumes there is CYA in the water -- if the CYA is truly zero, then even 2 ppm FC should kill all algae, but could get used up too quickly).

If the CYA is very high, then shocking with chlorine can become impractical. If the water is not dilutes to lower the CYA level, then one can use products such as you imply including sodium bromide (which produces bromine) or ammonium based products (which produce monochloramine). These two resulting algae killers don't get bound to CYA so remain at full strength to kill the algae.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”