Resurfacing a Gunite pool

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.
nifty50s

Postby nifty50s » Tue 11 Aug, 2009 10:37

I have a 20 x 40 free form gunite pool that was built in 1985. It was resurfaced in 1998 with Marcite. It is in need of another resurfacing job. The surface is rough, with a few small concrete areas showing through. Beside from the surface, the pool is in excellent shape. A couple of questions: is there any major advantage of Marcite or Diamondbrite over paint on type of finishes? Are all of the paint-on type of finishes a short term patch? Can I do a Marcite job myself? I am aware that this is a major undertaking.

czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Tue 11 Aug, 2009 21:50

Paint on this surface condition is a plain waist of money. Even on a good surface it is only a patch for a few years. Do not use Marcite. It is like buying a Hummer that served in Iraq and gas price is 5 bucks a gallon.
Marcite is an obsolete type of plaster. Diamond Brite will cost about 7 bucks more per sq ft but well worth it.
Do your research on the net, it will tell you the the whole story and the pricing as well.
As far as do it yourself, it is next to impossible. You would have to be a pretty talented plasterer and very fast. That is after you divide the plastered area in the symetrical sections that you could do in one day. Divisions are done with a tile. Tile or mosaic that will stay in permanently. Then there is a hairline cracking (checking) on the finished sections, while you still working on the rest. that will be taken care of with final acid wash. (not a pleasant job either!) It is a lot more demanding than putting a stucco on the house, trust me.
Just the tools will cost you around 1500.00 - 2000.00
I estimate you looking at 5500.00 - 6.500 to pay a contractor, if you do the prep yourself, depending on the state you live in.

Good luck!!
ghost

Postby ghost » Thu 14 Jan, 2010 02:15

A DIY'er on the net has done it. cost him a bit over $500 bucks

check it out
Dood

Postby Dood » Sat 16 Jan, 2010 11:58

Marcite is not a DIY job whereas painting is.

Painting is cheap (relatively) and easy to do, though longevity is questionable. If you need a quick, cheap fix then go for paint. If you want it to last go for a plaster-type resurfacing (by professionals).

Dood
clickme1st

Postby clickme1st » Mon 18 Jan, 2010 23:08

I have painted with 2pack epoxy paint,2 coats within 24hrs,that have lasted 10 years.
but every week you need to brush the walls and floor to stop the paint oxidizing.If you get a little lazy just do 1/2 each week but keep doing brushing and it will last a very long time.And best thing about paint: you can always change the colour we you do repaint. Just follow the manufacturers recommendation for repaint
regards GW
Microtehnicus

Postby Microtehnicus » Mon 05 Apr, 2010 13:19

What brand of paint did you use? What is the effect of oxidized paint?

Thanks,

clickme1st wrote:I have painted with 2pack epoxy paint,2 coats within 24hrs,that have lasted 10 years.
but every week you need to brush the walls and floor to stop the paint oxidizing.If you get a little lazy just do 1/2 each week but keep doing brushing and it will last a very long time.And best thing about paint: you can always change the colour we you do repaint. Just follow the manufacturers recommendation for repaint
regards GW
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Tue 06 Apr, 2010 09:41

Read my comments from August 2009. It will give some heads-up.
Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Xclusive » Tue 04 May, 2010 12:40

czechmate wrote:Read my comments from August 2009. It will give some heads-up.

I soooo agree with you. Painting a gunite pool is not a great choice. Replaster, done by professionals, DiamondBrite or 3M aggregate. It will look beautiful and last a long time

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”