High Alk Low Ph

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
Bowstar23

High Alk Low Ph

Postby Bowstar23 » Wed 07 Jun, 2006 07:38

The alkalinity is 350ppm. The ph is the the lowest one on the test kit ( can't recall the #)

The ppol stores are no help. Told me to add ph plus and shock but still the water is cloudy after 12 hrs.

Also said the high alk isn't that important if the water is clear. Well, it isn't and I cant get it there.

Anyone have advice on what I should do??

kacsing

high Alk

Postby kacsing » Tue 13 Jun, 2006 16:37

Did you ever get an answer to this question?
We are in the exact same boat. Our water won't clear up and the ppl at Litehouse are useless. I have read it can take weeks to fix this problem, but no one has been able to tell me exactly what to put in it to fix it.
dm2d3d

high alk no ph

Postby dm2d3d » Wed 14 Jun, 2006 10:23

I have the same problem. We do not close our pool over the winter. Just throw a leaf net over it and drain the pool past the skimmer. We have an above ground 18' x 33' pool with a DE filter. The DE filter works WONDERS when opening the pool in the spring. Lickity-split!

But I always have a high alk reading and literally NO ph. The guys at our local pool place tell me to adjust the ph before doing anything. This makes NO sense! As soon as I add Muratic Acid to reduce the high alk, I lose all my ph! Then I'm spending twice (sometimes three times) the amount of money in PH Rise to get ph back to level. I'm thinking that I should add enough acid to rid my pool of all the alk and then adjust the ph with a riser. What do you think?
tomNtrish

Re: high alk no ph

Postby tomNtrish » Thu 15 Jun, 2006 22:31

dm2d3d wrote:I have the same problem. We do not close our pool over the winter. Just throw a leaf net over it and drain the pool past the skimmer. We have an above ground 18' x 33' pool with a DE filter. The DE filter works WONDERS when opening the pool in the spring. Lickity-split!

But I always have a high alk reading and literally NO ph. The guys at our local pool place tell me to adjust the ph before doing anything. This makes NO sense! As soon as I add Muratic Acid to reduce the high alk, I lose all my ph! Then I'm spending twice (sometimes three times) the amount of money in PH Rise to get ph back to level. I'm thinking that I should add enough acid to rid my pool of all the alk and then adjust the ph with a riser. What do you think?

I have had this same problem. I found that by lowering the total alk level a little at the start of the pool season helps. It's never been the perfect 80-120ppm, but is literally off the charts at the start of the season. I spend about a week in the beginning, adding 1 to 2 quarts of muriatic acid a day after filling the pool, to bring the alk level down to "high" on those test strips. Then I can at least get a reading on the pH scale after adding the "rise" product. After that, simple routine maintenance works. We don't have the patience to spend much more time on this and it seems to work good enough for our short swim season. We've had our pool for 10 years now.

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”