Pool water green

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
mikedamufflr
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: above ground round 20 feet by 4 feet vinyl liner hayward variflow xl valve, swimpro high rate sand filter 1.0 spl 60 gpm pump

Pool water green

Postby mikedamufflr » Sat 15 Aug, 2009 19:48

just moved in to house 20 feet by 4 feet deep above ground pool water is green. i have added shock, bleach, flock it, and running pump continuos. my levels are FAC 0, PH 7.2, TA 30, CYA 0, TDS 400, copper iron 0, and phosphates 0. I was told i could use baking soda for something but im new to this and have no idea. the water was a real deep green almost black and i have got it to like a real light green color. i have goteen most of the stuff of the bottom. what can i do to get the water clean.

Pool water green

Postby Guest » Mon 02 Nov, 2009 16:36

Well i think you should waste that water and add some water from new process...than add some chloroform and filter the water...that might work for you
brad s
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 14,000 gal kidney
3/4 HP hayward super pump, Pentair IC-40 SWCG, Aquacomfort heat pump.

Pool water green

Postby brad s » Tue 03 Nov, 2009 10:22

You need more chlorine. Then more chlorine.
jeniffer
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Hey I am swimming champion my college

Pool water green

Postby jeniffer » Sat 27 Mar, 2010 02:20

Hello,

You need to use the right amount of Chlorine in the swimming pool so that water can also stay fresh. If you don't use then it will start converting green and one more reason is that rain water. I am not sure about the rain water but one of my friend was discussing.

Thanks,
SandraThompson
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: We have an Inground swimming pool, it is 3-years old now. It was a gift from my dad.

Pool water green

Postby SandraThompson » Mon 29 Mar, 2010 23:41

Your pool chemistry may be out of balance, allowing algae to multiply. The flow rate through the filter may be low due to clogged or undersized piping. Cleaning the lines or changing to larger pipes will correct this problem. Or maybe Your filter operation time may not be long enough to compensate for heavy use or hot weather. Try running your filter for 24 hours to clear the water, then adjust to less running time.

You can also check for pool supplies that can help you in getting your water crystal clear.

Hope this helps :)
Chlorine rocks
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Pool water green

Postby floridapooltech » Tue 18 May, 2010 16:06

Something a lot of pool owners dont think about when trying to figure out an algae outbreak that doesn't seem to go away, is nitrates. These are entered into your pool if you fertilize your lawn, have dogs or children that run around in the grass, then jump into the pool, swim in a large body of water then swim in your pool or have trees over the pool. Unfortunately, the only way to remove nitrates from your pool as of now, is do dilute them (draining and replacing with fresh water). We have found Many of our customers with nitrates, removed them and eliminated the terminal algae problems altogether!
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Pool water green

Postby chem geek » Wed 19 May, 2010 02:36

Though phosphates and nitrates are nutrients that algae needs to grow, it is NOT true that a pool high in phosphates and nitrates cannot have algae growth stopped by chlorine alone. If one maintains a sufficient Free Chlorine (FC) level relative to the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level, then one can kill algae faster than it can grow even if there were all the phosphates and nitrates algae could possibly utilize. The reason is that algae growth is also limited by sunlight and temperature so can only double in population in 3 to 8 hours under the most ideal conditions.

I've had 2000-3000 ppb phosphates in my pool and others have had 4000 ppb or more as well as high nitrate levels yet kept their pools free of algae growth by simply maintaining an FC that was at least 7.5% of the CYA level in manually dosed pools or 4.5% of the CYA level in SWG pools.

The primary reason that many pools develop algae is that such pools continue to use stabilized chlorine that continues to build up the CYA level, but the FC level is not proportionately increased. It is the FC/CYA ratio that determines whether there is enough active chlorine to kill algae faster than it can grow. You can learn more about this by reading the Pool School and if you've taken a CPO course you can learn what was not taught or was incorrect or incomplete by reading this post and its links.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”