Crackling sounds from filter...

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
vjsimple

Postby vjsimple » Sun 16 Aug, 2009 07:44

Hey everyone. This is my first time posting here. We just put in a new in ground pool and this site has been very helpful and informative throughout the process.

Anyways, the pool was just finished last week and we have to wait a few more days before we can get in due to the chemicals setting up. We have a large Hayward sand filter and it has been making strange crackling sounds. It gets pretty loud at times. It sounds like it is coming from the top of the filter. Again, the sound is like a crackling or rattling sound. Like a bunch of stuff is rattling around in the top of the filter.

We had the guy who installed it come out and he say there's no air stuck in there and said that's just how the pump sounds due to so much flowing into it at the same time. This just doesn't seem right to me. Our pool is not a very big. I just can't imagine this sound is "normal."

Am I wrong about this? I searched the forums and found some things about loud noises coming from things getting stuck in the impeller in the pump, but my sound is not coming from the pump.

I'll keep searching to see if I can find anything directly on point, but in the meantime I figured I would post to see if I could get some direct advice.

Thanks in advance for any help.

vjsimple

Postby vjsimple » Sun 16 Aug, 2009 07:59

In searching, I did find that my problem could be caused by having an oversized pump which is causing excessive flow. This is consistent with what the pool guy told me. I'm not going to be very happy if I have to rebuild or buy a new pump.

Does this sound like what would be causing the problem? I welcome any other suggestions.

Thanks.
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Sun 16 Aug, 2009 23:03

Be helpful if you posted filter and pump models, line sizes and any other flow info you might have.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”