Aqua Rite salt level reads zero

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
exit63
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie
My Pool: 16X32 with a 3 foot Roman end. 22,500 gallons, 3 year old vinyl liner, Perflex EC65 DE filter, new Aqua Rite Salt unit

Aqua Rite Unit Display??

Postby exit63 » Sat 29 May, 2010 20:30

I just had a salt unit installed. The owners manual leaves much to be desired. Does anyone know what the LED readings mean? I have a Goldline Aqua Rite unit. I know the salt reading and temperature displays. The rest are a mystery. The manual could have shown a picture and explained what they mean. A couple of them look like they are in Klingon.

Tink

Postby Tink » Wed 23 Jun, 2010 20:04

If you go to the Goldline controls web site you can print them. off hand the first # is the salt level. Push the diagnostics button once and you'll get the pull temp. Push a second time and you'll get the cell voltage and so on!!!
Tink

Postby Tink » Wed 23 Jun, 2010 20:06

ooops! I should have proof read! should be pool temp.
mjlites

Postby mjlites » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 18:59

How do I know if my salt cell needs to be replaced? My Aqua Rite was reading 2300ppm of salt so before reading all of the previous posts, I poured 4 bags of salt in it, then 5 hours later had the water tested at a pool store and they told me I'm at 4200ppm. I also have black algea growing in it and the pool store associate told me I needed to balance the water before adding algea killer to it.

My question is do I need to replace my salt cell (its 4 years old) or can it be fixed, and how do I fix the Aqua Rite to read properly? Thanks for your time reading this.

Mark
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 11:17

mjlites wrote:How do I know if my salt cell needs to be replaced? My Aqua Rite was reading 2300ppm of salt so before reading all of the previous posts, I poured 4 bags of salt in it, then 5 hours later had the water tested at a pool store and they told me I'm at 4200ppm. I also have black algea growing in it and the pool store associate told me I needed to balance the water before adding algea killer to it.

My question is do I need to replace my salt cell (its 4 years old) or can it be fixed, and how do I fix the Aqua Rite to read properly? Thanks for your time reading this.

Mark

The cell may not need to be replaced. how many gallons is your pool that you added 160 lbs. of salt to increase it around 700 ppm? The problem with your black algae stemmed from having insufficient levels of "chlorine" (generated from your system) for an extended period of time. The best way to correct this issue, when your chlorinator is back online, is to use a course brush (metal), scrub/scrape the top layer off the algae, which is the protective layer, then set your chlorinator to "shock" or 100%. leave the system running overnight. This "superchlorinating" along with scraping the protective layer off the algae will kill the algae. There is no need for any other "algaecides". With proper filtration and sanitation, there is never any need for other chemicals as long as your proactive with your water balance!
Florida Pool Tech is a Florida certified service company headquartered in Tampa, Florida employing the best technicians and installers in the industry! Vist us at http://www.floridapooltech.com

Specializing in pool service and pool repair
bheffernan

Postby bheffernan » Sun 10 Oct, 2010 17:20

My Goldline salt system went from reading 3000 to 2800 to 1400 to 700 to 400 to 100 and then Zero in a day. I put a brand new cell in and I am still getting a Zero salt reading (3400 tested) and the Low Salt and Check cell lights are solid. Does anyone have any ideas. I did press the diagnostic button 5 times and reset it already.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 11 Oct, 2010 21:30

bheffernan wrote:My Goldline salt system went from reading 3000 to 2800 to 1400 to 700 to 400 to 100 and then Zero in a day. I put a brand new cell in and I am still getting a Zero salt reading (3400 tested) and the Low Salt and Check cell lights are solid. Does anyone have any ideas. I did press the diagnostic button 5 times and reset it already.

Which T-Cell do you have, also, what software revision do you have on the system (will make a huge difference if you don't have a t-cell 15).
Florida Pool Tech is a Florida certified service company headquartered in Tampa, Florida employing the best technicians and installers in the industry! Vist us at http://www.floridapooltech.com

RW5207

Postby RW5207 » Sat 06 Aug, 2011 06:27

Pool User wrote:I have owned an Aquarite for eight years. When my chlorine level starts dropping and I know that I have enought salt, and the cell is clean; I know it is time to order a new cell. It will start out reading 3000, then the next week it will be 2700. Then the following week 2400. I will add 1 bag of salt, and if the salt reading does not come up I will clean the cell. If the reading still does not come up I will replace the cell. How old is your cell. I have gone through 4 in eight years. The first lasted 11 months. The second 1 year. The third, lasted 4 years. I live in the Dallas area and found that if I turn off the unit in the winter months (Dec - Feb) the cell seems to last longer. I think your cell has died and you need to replace it.

I also live in the Dallas area and don't seem to be able to get more than 2-3 years out of a salt cell. Is this a regional water thing, or are we both doing the same thing incorrectly? :) I hear of others whose cells are lasting 5 years.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Tue 16 Aug, 2011 14:51

RW5207 wrote:
Pool User wrote:I have owned an Aquarite for eight years. When my chlorine level starts dropping and I know that I have enought salt, and the cell is clean; I know it is time to order a new cell. It will start out reading 3000, then the next week it will be 2700. Then the following week 2400. I will add 1 bag of salt, and if the salt reading does not come up I will clean the cell. If the reading still does not come up I will replace the cell. How old is your cell. I have gone through 4 in eight years. The first lasted 11 months. The second 1 year. The third, lasted 4 years. I live in the Dallas area and found that if I turn off the unit in the winter months (Dec - Feb) the cell seems to last longer. I think your cell has died and you need to replace it.

I also live in the Dallas area and don't seem to be able to get more than 2-3 years out of a salt cell. Is this a regional water thing, or are we both doing the same thing incorrectly? :) I hear of others whose cells are lasting 5 years.

A cell's life will not be the same for any two users. Cell's are rated for 10,000 "working" hours, meaning when the cell is physically producing chlorine. So if person A with a 15k gallon pool uses a 40K cell, and person B has a 25k gallon pool with the same cell, person A will have a better chance of replacing cells less often. Also, the higher your chlorine output setting, the more the cell will use up of its working hours. You cannot simply assume that because your cell lasted 2-3 years and another's lasted 5+ years, that you are doing something wrong, or that it was a defect. However, it is recommended that you go with a cell that is rated much higher than your pool's capacity or you will not be happy with the life you receive out of it.

dgoody

Postby dgoody » Mon 29 Aug, 2011 18:59

Ok so I have had my salt generator for 3 years, it went from 2700 to 0. I have cleaned it twice could my cell be done?

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”