Need help with new pump

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
RH11

Need help with new pump

Postby RH11 » Mon 17 Aug, 2009 14:17

First i'm new to this site would like to say hello.

I just had a new pump installed a Pentair intelliflo VF, the city I live in is running a pump replacement program to reduce their energy footprint and offer this pump installed for $735.00. My old pump was a sta-rite 2hp pump because of the spa, this was killing me on the electric bill each month to turn over the pool volume once a day. My pool is about 10,000 gal. kidey shaped with a 6 1/2 ft. dim. spa, I live in the Palm springs Calif. area. Now for my question the company that installed and set the pump to flow the volume of the pool over a 15 hour cycle this is drawing about 120 watts per hour, old pump had a 1100 watt draw for about 6 hours a day. My regular pool guy was here today a said the pump is not running fast enough to mix the water in the pool, and I need to adjust it up so it runs at about 600 watts. Does it matter how fast the water flows as long as you turn the volume over once a day?
Thanks for any information
Robert

Benm
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20' x 40', inground, sand filter, 1.5HP pump

Need help with new pump

Postby Benm » Wed 19 Aug, 2009 12:24

Hi Robert,

Scientifycally I don't have an answer, but common sense sais that as long as you filter your entire volume of water once a day, it doesn't really matter at what flow rate, again as long as your system(s) are working properly (i.e. no air in the lines, etc).

BTW, how do you measure your pump consumption and how did you figure out the time it takes to filter you volume of water once?

Cheers, Ben
RH11

Need help with new pump

Postby RH11 » Wed 19 Aug, 2009 13:03

The pump does it all, you put in pool volume, water temperature, number of turn overs a day and hours to run, then the pump calculates at what speed to run, from what i've read about the pump it has a built in flow meter. Pump was set up by the installers they set it at 15,000 g. for 18 hours that turn my pool over 1 1/2 times a day, it is using 130 watts an hour at that rate, pump also has a power display.

Thanks
Robert

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”