Pool turns green when I add chlorine

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
jimmy2timez
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16X32 above ground,

Postby jimmy2timez » Tue 18 Aug, 2009 12:59

I dont get it, When I add Chlroine to my pool it turns it green. Any ideas, I have no clue....

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Tue 18 Aug, 2009 22:55

If the chlorine is a hypochlorite source of chlorine, such as chlorinating liquid or bleach or Cal-Hypo or lithium hypochlorite, then this raises the pH when can precipitate copper compounds (carbonates and oxides) making the water look green. You can lower the pH and add a metal sequestrant, but should also figure out where the copper came from. Have you been using an algaecide that contains copper or are you using a metal ionizer system?
PoolPerson

Postby PoolPerson » Wed 19 Aug, 2009 02:36

This can also happen when you have high levels of bromide ions in your pool. Have you used bromine at any time? Some mustard algae treatments are sodium bromide.
PoolPerson

Postby PoolPerson » Wed 19 Aug, 2009 03:37

Just to be clear, when you add chlorine to a bromine pool, only the water in the immediate area of the chlorine turns lime green. This dissipates as the chlorine becomes mixed throughout the pool. When the original poster says "When I add Chlorine to my pool it turns it green." it is not clear if they are saying that their pool turns green or the chlorine turns green.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”