HELLLLP.............milky water

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
doe55

Postby doe55 » Thu 20 Aug, 2009 07:36

I have an above ground 15/48 quick set-up pool it's been up for over a month everthing was fine. The las week or so I noticed it getting a little cloudy so added what the said to add ,the test says clorine is in the ideal spot, the ph is a little high, it says to ph down I don't know how to do that. It looks like there is milk chunks in it.
yesterday I put clarifer in it. this morning I can bearly see anything it's all white with chunks

Can any one helllllp me

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Thu 20 Aug, 2009 10:17

There are many possible reasons for cloudy water (see this link for an extensive list). The number one cause is having the Free Chlorine (FC) level too low relative to the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level allowing green algae to grow which initially often just makes the water look dull then cloudy before it turns into a full-fledged green bloom. The number two cause is inadequate circulation/filtration that is unable to remove organics added to the pool from bather load (i.e. suntan lotion, etc.). The number three cause is an over-saturation of calcium carbonate due to some combination of the pH, Total Alkalinity (TA) and Calcium Hardness (CH) being too high.

So to figure out what is going on we really need a complete set of water chemistry numbers from you. You should have a good test kit -- either the Taylor K-2006 you can get at a good online price here or the TF100 from tftestkits.net here with the latter kit having 36% more volume of reagents so less expensive per test. You can then use The Pool Calculator to calculate the saturation index and if it is substantially higher than 0, then you'll need to adjust the pH, TA, CH accordingly, possibly through water dilution if the CH is high or lowering the TA procedure if the TA is high or adding acid if the pH is high.

If the FC got below 7.5% of the CYA level (in a manually dosed pool), then green algae can grow in which case you would need to shock the pool with chlorine, possibly after doing a partial drain/refill to lower the CYA level first. You can learn more by reading the Pool School.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”