Please advise

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
sandbachdragon
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 10m x 4m re-enforced concrete above ground construction - as to the rest teh filter is a big red sphere with a presure guage on the top, the pump is big black and ugly and there is a maze of 4 inch plastic pipes.

Please advise

Postby sandbachdragon » Thu 27 Aug, 2009 06:43

Just joined the forum today. I don't know if anyone can assist. I have a property in Greece with a swimming pool I only get to visit a couple of times a year. In between visits I have someone maintain the pool but from October to June it is not used. I would like to close the pool during these months and I am looking for advice on what to do. The pool is made from re-enforced concrete (about 18 inches thick) standing above ground. The tilling is small 1 inch square tiles. You can see a picture here.
http://www.andywyatt.co.uk/picturegallery/ourwedding/image4.html
I would like to just drain the pool and put a cover over it for the 8 months. Then get the maintenance guy to clean, fill and treat the pool before our next visit. Would this be OK?
Paying for maintenance for 8 months when the pool is not used seems a bit silly!

Thanking you all in anticipation.

czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Please advise

Postby czechmate » Thu 27 Aug, 2009 08:14

It is best to get local expert to evaluate the impact of leaving this pool dry for that period of time.
You may not be threaten by a water table, but pool surface may contain materials that are preserved by being submerged.
Further, the pressure of filled pool and its weight may figure in a stability of walls and the adjoining immediate area. It would be irresponsible from anyone, to give you a binding advice, without a structural inspection.
flyer
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 8m x 4m pool in southern spain, sand filter, maintained by local ex-pat

Please advise

Postby flyer » Thu 03 Sep, 2009 17:22

I'm not sure if I'm going the right way about asking a question...
My pool is in southern spain, looked after by a local british "pool man". No problem to speak of for the last 6 years the pool has ben operating, water has usualy been sparkling blue but this year one problem after another. three or maybe four time this summer disaster, green water requiring each time anti algae treatment, shock and clarifyer(?). Just tonight another call from our "expert"

our pool set up is sand filter, 3.5 m x 7.5 m, average depth 1.4m 36.7 m3, triclor tablets used, 1 - 2 a week, in the skimmer. No idea about pump & motor, During the two week period I have visited in August, as a layman I had measured and noted the following. PH value look good 7.2, chlo values constantly low, 0.0 to 0.6 on some readings, 0.6 to 1.2 other times. pressure on the only valve, on top of the filter about .4 bar, 6 psi. A gushing sound in the filter housing, perhaps this normal.

We have had some incidents involving visitors ( we let the house out) - chino (gravel) dropped by little hands down the pipe leading from the skimmer basket, some had reached as far as the non return valve before the strainer basket. Also this summer has been hot, up to 37 degrees C. Poolman has suggested visitors topping water up with tap water has caused a problem, not sure what they should be topping up with if not tap water. - dry martinis?

Another environmental problem apart from high temperature and little medling hands, we are high in th emountains, dry and dusty and sometimes strong winds so dust in the pool.

Last year I had asked our pool man should the sand be replaced, six years on from initial instalation. He was non-commital .I has since researched and discovered it is not everyones' favourite job. He now is suggesting it is a priority. Probably it is, having researched a little, channeling or is it clumping? etc. But what of the low pressure at the gauge, would this support this theory or indicate a poorly performing pump. In any case would poor filter perfomance result in our regular growth of algae or would this be due to insufficient chlorine tablets? Pool man suggests he keeps tablet usage low to keep costs down.I am stuck, my wife has just broken her shoulder and I can't just jump on a plane and pop over to Spain, I'm not sure my pool man is up to this problem. Any Ideas?
Helen
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: My pool is a lap pool. It is located at the back of my house and has a concrete surface. It has a water based paint and has a sand filter.

Please advise

Postby Helen » Thu 19 Nov, 2009 00:00

Hi, helen here. Just want to give you an advice.

If you're unsure about draining your pool, you must contact a professionally-licensed pool service company or plumber. If you really want to drain your pool and leave it for 8 months you can cover it but it will surely have dirt, debris and bacteria. It is advised that after draining your pool, refill it as soon as possible. Direct sunlight can damage the plaster in your pool if it's left exposed.

It is really costly to maintain your pool but I think it would be a best choice to hire someone to maintain your swimming pool.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Please advise

Postby czechmate » Fri 20 Nov, 2009 12:43

"Licensed plumber" will not tell you much about "sunlight damage" to a plaster.
It really is not the core of of potential problems with drained gunite pool.
The water table is!
Somehow you forgot to mention it!?
Cracking or checking of plaster is.
The discoloration and multiple rings of rusty and black color from debris and water from the hydrostatic plug is.
With all due respect and with understanding that you trying to help, this is not a recipe for Shrimp scampi.
(Even if you leave out the garlic, you can still eat it).
It will not cost someone tens of thousands of dollars like a pool that popped out of ground, or 5,000.00 for a re-plaster.
Please, be more careful with your advice.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”