Refinishing / Restoring a Fiberglass Pool Slide

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....

Postby Guest » Sun 30 Aug, 2009 12:52

I have acquired an old fiberglass pool slide and am starting work on restoring it. The slide looks like it might be an SR Smith Rogue Grand Rapids slide (deck only, no legs, ladder or other hardware). I think this one is an older model of the Rogue Grand Rapids slide, but very similar to the current model. At least, this is the closest model that I can find resembling the one I acquired.

I have found several sites on the internet where pool slide restoration is discussed briefly, but I want to see what folks here might have to say about it.

My main question has to do with refinishing the deck itself, especially the paint to use. The deck is in quite good shape but for weathering and a couple of minor cracks. I will be repairing the cracks with marine-style fiberglass/epoxy repair material (I'm leaning toward Marine-Tex Epoxy Putty). The deck is also quite weather worn with powdered paint and the upper paint layer worn through or nearly worn through in a few areas.

So far, I have cleaned the deck thoroughly and am preparing to patch the minor cracks. After the patching, I need to make decisions on paint.

My thought is that many of the available marine epoxy paints for boats would be a good choice for repainting this slide. However, I have also seen recommendations for using pool paint like Ramuc Type EP Epoxy or Ramuc EP Hi Build Epoxy. The Ramuc stuff is pretty expensive, and I also don't think I can buy it in quantities smaller than 1 to 2 gallons at a time. Ramuc Hi Build comes in 2-gallon kits and Ramuc EP Epoxy comes in a 1-gallon kit. I like the idea of the Ramuc Hi Build, but spending $150-plus on paint alone (and buying more paint than I need) is not really the option I'd like to pursue unless it turns out the be the best recommendation.

The slide has a surface area of roughly 39 square feet with 13' x 3' of painted area. For most paints, I'd think at most I'd need somewhere between 1 and 2 quarts of paint to do a couple of coats over that surface area.

Any recommendations on a good bang-for-the-buck paint for me? Or other thoughts on my refinishing project?

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

Al

Postby Guest » Fri 25 Sep, 2009 18:59

I bet the slide is a FRONTIER III

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”