How long would something like this take?

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
NathanAndZachsDad
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby NathanAndZachsDad » Wed 02 Sep, 2009 15:15

I am interested in converting my outdoor pool to an indoor one.

My backyard consists of an inground pool and a cement area all around it. I would like to enclose the area, so we can use the pool 12 months a year.

I would be interested in something like this ebay item http://cgi.ebay.com/Retracable-swimming ... dZViewItem Not necessarily that exact item, but that general idea. In other words, just something around the pool to convert it from an outdoor pool to an indoor pool. If I get a retractable roof, then great. If not, that's not a deal killer.

Does anyone know long it would take to install something like that? It says in the ad that it can be done in a few hours. Is that really the case? I would not be doing this myself. I would be hiring professionals to do it. So, my question is really whether professionals can really get it done in a single day. And, if they can't, is it a several days project or what would we really be looking at in terms of time period?

I live in northern NJ, about 15 minutes from NYC. So, I'm in an area of the country where we get some snow in the winter. I would like to still use the pool in the winter, so I assume I would need some kind of climate control apparatus for an indoor pool. Am I correct? If so, what I would search under and how long would that take to get installed. Is that a single day kind of thing, a week, etc?

My primary interest here is to figure out how long it would take, so I know about when I should start to try to schedule something like this.

czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Fri 04 Sep, 2009 08:14

You may be asking the wrong question.
With the presence of a weather element applied to a large surface volume, I would be asking "how long it will last?"
Wind, hail, snow cover and destructive sun rays.
Usually high price indicates better product. Not necessarily here. Remember that pool is considered by the industry as a luxury. Do you really believe that the new black Polaris priced at 800 bucks is as complicated product as a 50" plasma TV?
I would be asking this at forum of actual owners of this contraption.
Cover, which tries to retain or mimic the image of the outdoors, is always a risky compromise.
I can certainly relate to your frustration of a debris coming in the pool or the sudden drop in the water temperature. The key is still in the homework before signing the contract.
Good luck in your search.
Pool Clown
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uses a Chlorine generator, not a Salt Water Generator (SWG).

Postby Pool Clown » Wed 30 Sep, 2009 22:37

I would be curious as to how well it would hold up in the wind (storm).
Factory warranty service for Pentair, Jandy, Raypak, Polaris, and Paramount pool cleaning systems.
Jax
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Planning on building a pool/spa

Postby Jax » Wed 24 Mar, 2010 20:19

I would think the usfulness of the cover would be pretty limited. Might be better off with the inflatable ones.
NathanAndZachsDad wrote:I am interested in converting my outdoor pool to an indoor one.

My backyard consists of an inground pool and a cement area all around it. I would like to enclose the area, so we can use the pool 12 months a year.

I would be interested in something like this ebay item http://cgi.ebay.com/Retracable-swimming ... dZViewItem Not necessarily that exact item, but that general idea. In other words, just something around the pool to convert it from an outdoor pool to an indoor pool. If I get a retractable roof, then great. If not, that's not a deal killer.

Does anyone know long it would take to install something like that? It says in the ad that it can be done in a few hours. Is that really the case? I would not be doing this myself. I would be hiring professionals to do it. So, my question is really whether professionals can really get it done in a single day. And, if they can't, is it a several days project or what would we really be looking at in terms of time period?

I live in northern NJ, about 15 minutes from NYC. So, I'm in an area of the country where we get some snow in the winter. I would like to still use the pool in the winter, so I assume I would need some kind of climate control apparatus for an indoor pool. Am I correct? If so, what I would search under and how long would that take to get installed. Is that a single day kind of thing, a week, etc?

My primary interest here is to figure out how long it would take, so I know about when I should start to try to schedule something like this.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”