Fiberglass vs. Pebble Sheen or Pebble Fina

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.
bjlauirha
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 92' Perimeter diving pool. In the process of refinishing pool.

Postby bjlauirha » Thu 03 Sep, 2009 18:01

I am getting ready to resurface my plaster pool and can't decide whether to go with a fiberglass finish, pebble sheen, or pebble fina finish. If anyone has any information on which is the better product, please let me know as the pebble sheen and fiberglass run the same price and the pebble fina is $1800 less. Thank you for any input you give.

czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Fri 04 Sep, 2009 08:26

Look into Diamond Brite refinish application.
I did it this spring and never been so pleased with my pool.
Color of water, plaster surface color, hardness and resistance to algae hold.
I would be sceptical to apply fiberglass to a plaster even if the finished product produced advantages, which I really do not see.
APSI

Postby APSI » Fri 04 Sep, 2009 13:35

I would recommend Pebble Sheen. Fina is crushed aggergate. Sheen is exposed small aggergate with superior wearing qualities. fiberglas is durable but very slick surface and isnt as attractive as any aggergate finish. Aggergate=rock material.
kluke

Postby kluke » Sun 06 Sep, 2009 00:09

I had my pool redone with PebbleTec recently and love it. I would NEVER go with fiberglass as it WILL crack eventually. So...as far as the other options -- if you do not want the 'rough' surface of pebbletec, then pebble sheen would be the way to go because like pebble tec, it will last you MANY years and look great. Pebble fina...uuuuuh.....you get what you pay for. The material in pebble tec & pebble sheen is more expensive...labor is the same.
H20123

Postby H20123 » Tue 08 Sep, 2009 13:04

Pebble Tec, Pebble Sheen and Pebble Fina use the same rocks just different sizes. I have gone through their certification and it was explained to me that the rocks are naturally tumbled. Nothing is crushed. One thing that was stressed in this certification was pebble tec should not be “rough”. The main difference with each finish is they all have completely different looks, but with the same durability. My company loves all three and we use them frequently on projects (water features, ponds, pools and spas). Fiber glass is an alternative we have not been exposed to and would not be willing to try out. From a design approach we feel limited with what fiber glass has to offer. We have worked with lots of products for pool finishes and the company that makes pebble tec, sheen and fina does a good job. We have a local rep in our area that I call on all the time for questions. That might be a good source of information.

Postby Guest » Mon 19 Jul, 2010 00:14

well
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 16:03

as far as pool finishes go, there are many factors to choose.

Fiberglass:

less costly compared to pebbletec or quartz, however, after about 5 years, you will start noticing a breakdown process of the resin. Also, Fiberglass is prone to a number of stains the other finishes will not have.

Marcite:

also, less costly compared to pebbletec or quarts, hoever, will show signs of wear after 5-10 years (chips, deterioration)

Quartz:

costly, however, lasts between 15-20 years before any noticeable wear on the surface. Also, there are many colors and styles to choose from!

Pebbletec:

The most costly, however it will also last between 15-20 years before any noticeable wear or missing stones. As with quartz, this also comes in many different colors.

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”