Need help im confused

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
ligue4406
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed 09 Sep, 2009 15:10
My Pool: 18' round above ground pool with cartridge filter and chlorine feeder
Location: chicago

Need help im confused

Postby ligue4406 » Wed 09 Sep, 2009 15:23

here is my story i let my pool go for a week or two while traveling and it went green on me. it is a 18' round above ground pool with cartridge filter. so i started working on it today i checked the ph and alkalinity and they were fine. i brushed the sides and bottom of the pool to loosen everything up. i cleaned the filter then began to shock at 10am this morning i added four bags and some algaecide the pool quickly changed color and now is a dark blue color so i added some clearifier. i am going to let my pump run all night i have an auto feeder for chlorine that i put slow tabs in, but i do not have any in there cause i dont know if i should yet. it is now 7:30pm and i tested the water and everything seems to be ok except for the free chlorine its reading 0. am i doing everything right??? what do i do next??? (update: checked the water today the chemicals are all ok still except the free chlorine and the water is still blue i cant see the bottom of the pool added clearifieragain and will let the pump run all night again)

any and all info is very appreciated,

thank you,

rob


Guest

Need help im confused

Postby Guest » Sun 27 Sep, 2009 03:09

you should get the chlorine to at least 3ppm or more and keep it there until the water clears.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
Posts: 2382
Joined: Thu 21 Jun, 2007 21:27
Location: San Rafael, California

Need help im confused

Postby chem geek » Sun 27 Sep, 2009 22:06

Depending on the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level, 3 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) is most likely not nearly enough -- shocking is not a one-time process, but a SUSTAINED high level of chlorine until the pool is cleared and there is no more (< 1 ppm FC) drop in chlorine overnight. See Defeating Algae for more details.
nocturnalsheep
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon 24 Aug, 2009 17:00
Location: Seattle

Need help im confused

Postby nocturnalsheep » Mon 28 Sep, 2009 11:41

Tablets are more of a maintenance thing for when everything is fine in your pool, but are useless when trying to solve problems. One thing you need to find out is what your pH is. Chlorine has a tendency to disappear when the pH is low because it is so hyperactive. Also, the blue is the result of the copper in the algicide being oxidized by the chlorine.

So you need to make sure your water is balanced, then you can take care of the algae problems with an algae killer (such as BIO-DEX Aqua Pure) and chlorine. By the way, what type of chlorine are you using? Different amounts will be needed for different kinds of chlorine.

-Danny
-Danny
Water Analyst/Retail Sales Consultant

"the pool whisperer"
annm

Need help im confused

Postby annm » Thu 17 Dec, 2009 17:02

Sounds like you know what you are doing with your pool!
MARKAFN
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri 20 Mar, 2009 15:29
My Pool: 16 FOOT ULTRA FRAME POOL
Location: United kingdom

Need help im confused

Postby MARKAFN » Wed 31 Mar, 2010 02:08

I had this problem , i would say the clorine got to low and the algee built up...just run the pump solid..a bigger pump would help the pumps you get with the above ground pools are crap...worth the investment for a larger pump.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”

Who is online at the Pool Help Forum

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests