Filter disassembly - Pentair FNSP 60 / PN 180009

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
gunkie
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 23000 gal / salt water / chlorine generator

Postby gunkie » Sun 13 Sep, 2009 10:46

Hi there. I plan to close my pool for the first time by myself. I was able to open the pool quite easily, solo, this year and saved hundred's of dollars. I had the filter opened up at the beginning of the season [Pentair FNSP 60, PN = 180009] and noticed two lock nuts on top of two long threaded rods seemingly holding the whole filter assembly together.

I want to powerwash the filter assembly upon closing, but can't figure out how this filter assembly gets removed from the filter housing. Do I...

(1) lift out the entire assembly? Is there something holding this assembly in place, as I couldn't lift it out earlier this season? [EDIT: Found the sentance in the manual... "Lift out the complete element for washing." So I guess I just need get stronger :) ]
(2) take the lock nuts off the threaded rods and disassemble the filter assembly piece-by-piece?

I downloaded the instructions [pdf] from the Pentair website, but the 'CLEANING FILTER ELEMENTS' section is rather cryptic and includes no diagrams.

Any help would be appreciated.

** I'm traveling this upcoming week and will have spurious internet access. I hope to respond to any answers that are posted, albeit, with delay.

Thanks in advance!

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Sun 13 Sep, 2009 17:23

gunkie wrote:Hi there. I plan to close my pool for the first time by myself. I was able to open the pool quite easily, solo, this year and saved hundred's of dollars. I had the filter opened up at the beginning of the season [Pentair FNSP 60, PN = 180009] and noticed two lock nuts on top of two long threaded rods seemingly holding the whole filter assembly together.

I want to powerwash the filter assembly upon closing, but can't figure out how this filter assembly gets removed from the filter housing. Do I...

(1) lift out the entire assembly? Is there something holding this assembly in place, as I couldn't lift it out earlier this season? [EDIT: Found the sentance in the manual... "Lift out the complete element for washing." So I guess I just need get stronger :) ]
(2) take the lock nuts off the threaded rods and disassemble the filter assembly piece-by-piece?

I downloaded the instructions [pdf] from the Pentair website, but the 'CLEANING FILTER ELEMENTS' section is rather cryptic and includes no diagrams.

Any help would be appreciated.

** I'm traveling this upcoming week and will have spurious internet access. I hope to respond to any answers that are posted, albeit, with delay.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

You can do either 1 or 2 from your list above. The assembly can get very heavy so disassembling in place is often the easy way to go. First BW to remove as much as possible. If it's too heavy, take it apart. Pay close attention to how it goes together so you can reassemble.

Good luck.
mypoolsupplyguys
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby mypoolsupplyguys » Mon 14 Sep, 2009 08:00

Like Denali said, the assembly can get quite heavy with the DE, you could backwash it before dis-assembly, or you can also spray as much as you can off right there in the filter. (side note, this can make a bit of a mess next to the filter and pool equipment.

If you do Option #2 you are going to end up with a bunch of clogged up old DE at the bottom of the filter body, so you will end up with alot of mess by the equipment anyways.

Postby Guest » Tue 15 Sep, 2009 20:51

remove screws and take piece by piece from filter washing one ata time and returning to it's place.i done it last year and was alittle scarred.but after taking my time you can figure out what is what.pretty simple and you have a clean filter for next years start up.i also place my filter and pump in basement so to keep it nice and warm.
gunkie
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby gunkie » Mon 21 Sep, 2009 07:51

Thanks for the tips! I'll probably close the pool over one of the next three weekends. In eastern PA, it's been a cool summer and I see no hot 'Indian Summer' any time soon. Bummer. Thanks again!
ChuckSchmitz

Postby ChuckSchmitz » Sun 27 Sep, 2009 16:09

Definately take the top off and remove the filter grids individually. Taking the whole unit out is difficult and can lead to damaged filter grids if you set the unit down in one piece. The spines inside the filter grid are relatively fragile and are prone to breaking if you rest the assembled unit on it's side. All the grids are the same except one, which is somewhat narrower to allow room for the verticle supply tube. There are markings on the bottom plate that outline the grid location, so reassembly is not that scarey an undertaking.
gunkie
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby gunkie » Wed 07 Oct, 2009 06:30

ChuckSchmitz wrote:Definately take the top off and remove the filter grids individually.

This is what I did and it worked GREAT! Easy to take apart, easy to clean [hose w/thumb over the end was more than adequate] and easy to put back together. And I was able to go from filter disassembly-to-cleaning grids-to-reassembly in about 90 minutes and I'm a first timer. I actually squeeked the filter cleaning between two conference calls :)

Thanks!

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”