Pentair VS Hayward

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
tugboat
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 21,000,

Pentair VS Hayward

Postby tugboat » Fri 25 Sep, 2009 21:38

Replacing My Pump & "Whats the Difference between Pentair Superflo 340039 1.5 vs Hayward Super Pump 1.5 SP2610x15 . One better than the other, Noise, effiencicy, Pro's Cons... 21,000 , DE Filter, Pool Valet(Pop Ups) Not Co$t or plumbing concerns.. Thanks

Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Pentair VS Hayward

Postby Me... » Tue 29 Sep, 2009 00:57

My vote is for the CORRECT SIZE Pentair Whisperflow. But tell us your filter size and something about the number of returns and line sizes. Then we can guesstimate. 21k gallons even at 6 hour turnover is only a 3/4hp pump. You have pop ups which require some more pressure and flow but when you talk 1.5hp pump you are in the realm of 100-150gpm depending on some factors. You better have a filter capable of those flows or it is not going to work anywhere near as well as it could.
carolinacowboy
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: i have a 6person hottub

Pentair VS Hayward

Postby carolinacowboy » Wed 30 Sep, 2009 08:41

if it were me i would go with the hayward pump. and this is why. the petair pump whisper flo is about 25% more money. the basket doesnt last very long it only takes a few leaves to cause the basket to loose its shape and get sucked in towards the impeller. the whisperflows are pretty lound as well. the hayward super pumps are a little cheaper easy to repair most companies have parts on the shelf for them.
i will have to say though that the pentair intelli flow is a really nice pump but at 2,500.00 it comes with a huge price tag. go hayward you will be glade you did in the long run.
i have been working on pools for about 14years now and thats the way to go.
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Pentair VS Hayward

Postby Me... » Thu 01 Oct, 2009 10:04

If you hear noisy Whisperflows it is probably because they are oversized for the application. Replace some crappy pump with the same HP Whisperflow and it probably would be quite noisy. Either cavitation or excess velocity. The same will apply to any good pump though, bad installations will make them noisy. Hayward and Pentair both make some good products, I simply prefer Pentair.
patrickspools

Pentair VS Hayward

Postby patrickspools » Mon 05 Oct, 2009 19:12

The superflo out performs the super pump by a lot as far as moving more water. Its not even close. Super pumps are actually pathetic at moving water.....on the other hand they are nice and convenient. The price for the superflo and super pump are similar....actually my distributor lists the superflo for less than the super pump right now.

The whisperflo and intelliflo are in a different category altogether.....so much better than a super pump that its laughable. I use a whisperflo on my personal pool. They actually move twice the amount of water than a super pump at the exact same HP....and they do it using less electricity...what a joke....and for about $100 more. The only pump that hayward makes that is in the same league is the northstar. Like the others said the pumps will not work to there potential if the plumbing is not adequate.

This may surprise you. I almost always use hayward super pumps on my customers pools. I do this because they are cheap and very easy to work with. They have the 2 knob system that anyone can open with their hands and they make closing a pool easier with the blowout nipple. I only use 1 hp and 1.5 hp. 2 hp super pumps fail VERY quickly often times....I personally think there is a defect with them. Anyway if I actually need to move a lot of water I would use a pentair.
kleach

Pentair VS Hayward

Postby kleach » Mon 12 Aug, 2013 23:45

You are an idiot! You are the type of pool boy who gets fired for ripping off your customers. You choose lower quality pumps, which require more "pool boy" visits to get the pool in "top swimming" shape. That's how you make your living you parasites of the aquatics world. Hayward Superpumps I & II are excellent pumps.
Free Info

Pentair VS Hayward

Postby Free Info » Tue 13 Aug, 2013 09:18

Pentair is the best no doubt about it, Hayward is cheap and brakes down alot. JUst my 2 cents.
wpajim

Pentair VS Hayward

Postby wpajim » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 14:48

Let's of good discussion on pumps. Thanks. My question is about filters. I have a 14,000 gallon pool currently running an old Tri-Clops filter with 450 square feet in three cartridges. I run a 2 HP pump (due to a 36 inch waterfall) that will need to be replaced as well. I think the Pentair whisperflow is the way to go there, but I am told more than 200 square feet of cartridge filtration is big time overkill? Thoughts would be appreciated.
TSH Tech

Pentair VS Hayward

Postby TSH Tech » Mon 07 Oct, 2013 03:01

wpajim wrote: I think the Pentair whisperflow is the way to go there, but I am told more than 200 square feet of cartridge filtration is big time overkill? Thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm sitting here laughing at whoever said that. :lol: Overkill? No, you are just fine. In fact, "perfect" with that powerful 2HP pump. I'm guessing whoever said that was taking into account your pool gallon size, not your pump size. You put anything smaller with that 2HP pump and you will have cartridge/grid crush problems. Literally, they will crush when they get loaded up with dirt and suntan oils, because the filtering area is too small. Your pool builder calculated your filter out correctly.
If you go Whisper Flo, stay within your 450sq ft. filtering area and you'll be fine :thumbup:
Jason K. Holt
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Hampton 8'x19'x52" Oval Pool

Pentair VS Hayward

Postby Jason K. Holt » Tue 17 Dec, 2013 01:51

Both pumps are almost same in features as others said but I am also using a Pentair pump so I suggest you that brand because its good in working. Here is a comparison of features of both brand pumps.

Specifications
Pentair 340039
Voltage: 115/230
Speed: 1
HP: 1.5
Hayward SP2610X15
Voltage: 115/230
Speed: Single
HP: 1 1/2
Key Features

Pentair 340039

SuperFlo by Pentair Pool Products® is a direct replacement for the Hayward® Super Pump®
    Unionized fittings (1.5 in. internal slip and 2 in. external slip)
    Heavy-duty, high service factor 56 square flange motor
    Integral volute and pot reduce hydraulic noise
    Cam and Ramp™ Lid

Hayward SP2610X15

Efficient, dependable circulation pump for in-ground pools of all types and sizes
    Heavy-duty, high-performance motor provides quieter, cooler operation
    Swing-away hand knobs for easy strainer cover removal; simple access to internal parts
    110-cubic-inch basket; self-priming (suction lift up to 10-feet above water level)
    Measures approximately 21 by 7-5/8 by 10-7/8 inches

I think now you can decide it by yourself that which one is good for your pool. I took this data from a trusted site.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”