bad water

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
jonboy

bad water

Postby jonboy » Sat 03 Oct, 2009 17:00

I am closing my pool soon but the water is kinda green and I am out of chlorine. Is it ok to just drain it and close it. It is a 30,000 gallon inground.

nocturnalsheep
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Bad water

Postby nocturnalsheep » Mon 05 Oct, 2009 13:31

You will want to know the water table in your area so you will know if your pool will come out of the ground due to hydrostatic pressure. That would ruin your weekend.

Is there any particular reason you don't want to winterize it (monthly shock + algicide)? That much water wouldn't be cheap.

-Danny

"the pool whisperer"
-Danny
Water Analyst/Retail Sales Consultant

"the pool whisperer"
Blazing

bad water

Postby Blazing » Sat 28 Aug, 2010 17:32

There are a couple of reasons not to drain and leave your pool empty. the first is the popping out of the ground problem. Even a good rain that temporarilly raises the water outside of your pool can raise it like an empty ship right out of the ground.

Here's another. If your pool surface is ridgid, i.e. concrete, plaster, marcite, pebble tec, ... any hard surface, it is prone to expansion and contraction with changes in temperature. That causes the surface to expand (Pushing ridgid surfaces together, and contract, pulling them apart, both of which will reduce your pool to rubble over time. In my area, Phoenix Arizona, I reccomend in ground pools remain drained for the shortest time possible, and starting refilling the water within 24 hours of the drain time.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”