goose crap stains on white marble dust

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
patrickspools

Postby patrickspools » Sat 03 Oct, 2009 19:37

I have a customer with a white marble dust pool with goose crap stains all over the bottom. The stains have been there for 2 years. The marble dust is only 3 years old I believe. The stains in the shallow end have gone away for the most part with normal maintenance this season, but the ones in the deep end are still holding strong. We have wire brushed the pool every week this year with almost no results. The pool has a serious water condition so draining for an acid wash is out of the question. My plan is to drain the pool just under the lights and add an enourmous amount of acid or liquid shock or both and let it sit for a while. Then wire brush is again.

The pool is roughly 50,000 gallons, so with me draining it there will be roughly 20-25k gallons. Is this a good idea? How long should I let the chems sit in the water? How much acid should I use? Or chlorine? Should I use both?

The pool is done for the season and I have permission to do whatever it takes to get the stains off. Does anyone have any better ideas than what I came up with.

I have added large quantities of cal hypo and let it sit on the stains/brushed it in....basically no results with this method

I appreciate any help

geeman
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Goose crap stains on white marble dust

Postby geeman » Sun 04 Oct, 2009 19:03

Try sanding the spots with a 3M Diapad. Duct tape it to the end of a pool pole and work from the deck. You could also try the Jandy Stain Master - a localized stain remover via acid - no draining required with either method. Check pH and Alk after the Jandy.
patrickspools

Postby patrickspools » Sun 04 Oct, 2009 19:42

The entire bottom is stained and the pool is about 1100-1200 sq feet so this needs to be a wide spread fix....I can't sand individual spots unless I feel like spending a few days there.....In the past, on other pools, I have used a 2 inch pvc and dumped acid to the bottom....I assume that is the same thing as whatever jandy is selling except 1/100th the price. The stains on this pool are a little to much for that approach I think.

Thanks though
patrickspools

Postby patrickspools » Sun 04 Oct, 2009 19:49

I just looked up the jandy stain master....its actually only $50 so maybe I will give it a try....does it work with a hand pump and connect to a bottle top or something?
geeman
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby geeman » Mon 05 Oct, 2009 06:25

bottle top siphon action.
patrickspools

Postby patrickspools » Thu 08 Oct, 2009 18:13

My approach worked. Thought I'd let you guys know.

Lowered pool to about 10-15k gallons.
6 gallons liquid shock
20 gallons acid

Its been 48 hours and now the stains do come off with wire brush. I am leaving it untill tomorrow and then doing a full brushing.

Postby Guest » Fri 09 Oct, 2009 01:25

:shock: 20 gallons of acid for 15k gallons of water :shock:

You may end up dissolving the pooll!
tallyman
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x36 concrete, marcite surface, built 1975

Postby tallyman » Fri 23 Oct, 2009 12:39

Next time you can take an old roller type vacuum head and rig up a device for "spot" acid treating. Go to the hardware store and buy a rubber stopper that will fit the vacuum head hose connection, then drill a hole through the rubber stopper to allow a 3/8-inch clear plastic tube to be pushed through the stopper hole. About 20 feet of the clear plastic tubing should be more than enough. (Ace Hardware stocks this size of tubing). Then drill the same size hole through the center of the plastic cap on the acid bottle. and place the other end of the plastic tubing through the acid bottle cap, extending all the way to the bottom of the bottle. Since the specific gravity of muriatic acid is greater than that of water, the acid will flow directly to the bottom of the pool through the vaccum head with continuous siphon action. It's a two-handed operation as you walk along pushing the pole with one hand and carrying the acid bottle in the other. This method is far better and safer for the pool surface. You get concentrated acid exactly where you need it without risking "dissolving the entire pool."
patrickspools

Postby patrickspools » Fri 30 Oct, 2009 07:56

That sounds just like the jandy stain master that geeman suggested (which I actually did end up buying and using). Maybe I didn't describe this correctly. The ENTIRE bottom of a very big pool was stained by goose crap. Spot cleaning would have taken days and I would have ended up using more acid than I did doing it the way I did. My method worked perfectly. The pool looks basically brand new now and the plaster is fine. It did take quite a bit of brushing to get the stains to come off fully and the few that would not come off I used the stain master on (which worked beautifully, thanks geeman).

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”