Algae has taken over pool

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
JMLBacon
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Fiberglass, 16,000, saline, pentair equipment

Postby JMLBacon » Wed 14 Oct, 2009 15:49

I need advice on how to move forward. Two years ago we had our inground pool redone; fiberglass, saline, pentair equipment. The pentair salt converter has failed. This is the second one that has failed. It has been 10 weeks. Initially, we were trying to control the algae with chlorine and yellow/green out and shock treatments. The pool supply store told us we were throwing our money away, until the part is replaced it was of no value to put the chemicals in the pool. The algae has now taken over. I can no longer brush the algae from the sides of the pool. I have a swamp in my backyard.
This part is under warrenty, Allens Pools said they ordered the part from Pentair. Allen's will no longer return our calls. Pentair says Allen Pools has never ordered the part. The part cost is about 500.00.
Can I drain the pool? Any idea on whether the pool surface has been so badly damaged that it will need be resurfaced.

Thanks,
JMB

poolgeek

Postby poolgeek » Thu 15 Oct, 2009 02:23

until the part is replaced it was of no value to put the chemicals in the pool

You should have been chlorinating after the SWG died. Shock the pool and keep the free chlorine high and pH regular until the water clears.

What is the CYA level?

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”