Can I heat my swimming pool with a new hot tub?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Musky
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Musky » Sun 01 Nov, 2009 14:01

I just bought a new house in Phoenix with an unheated inground swimming pool. I would like to add a hot tub with a waterfall into the pool. Can I heat my swimming pool from the hot tub?

mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby mas985 » Sun 01 Nov, 2009 15:05

It depends on the kind of setup you are thinking about. If it is a stand alone spa, then the spa and pool will not share any plumbing or equipment so significant modifications to both the pool and spa would be required to take water from the pool and send it to the spa so it could overflow from the spa into the pool. Even if you could do this, the spa heater will probably be too small to add any substantial heat to the pool and cost too much to use (electric heat).

If it is an inground spa with shared plumbing and equipment then the heater can be used for either the pool or spa. But this would cost a lot to do.

I suspect it would be much less costly to purchase a stand alone spa and a pool heater.
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Tue 03 Nov, 2009 12:32

Musky wrote:I just bought a new house in Phoenix with an unheated inground swimming pool. I would like to add a hot tub with a waterfall into the pool. Can I heat my swimming pool from the hot tub?

In Arizona, I would not worry about heating a pool.
Through the short winter heated spa may suffice just fine.
And in April you ready to swim, easily till October.
That is a longer season than anywhere else in the country.
Heating pool is not exactly cheap endeavor and in the summer you may be looking how to cool it.
Remember the old saying: When you gorging, you don't have to smack... :wink:

Postby Guest » Thu 05 Nov, 2009 08:00

You could, but you would be pumping huge amounts of heat into the hot tub to get the pool temperature up.
ryan_facc
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16000g inground pool, 80x80 caldera hot tub

Re: Can I heat my swimming pool with a new hot tub?

Postby ryan_facc » Mon 16 May, 2016 11:53

Sorry i am new hear and didn't know how to start a new post. I am interested in something similar but different, this maybe something that is commonly done but I am also new to the pool and hot tub life lol.

here is what i would like to do, would it feasible to run line off my pool return to my hot tub, at a slow rate, or even at intervals. The water once in tub (clean) would be heated and remain for specific time or slowly overflow to pool. The motivation is not heating the pool but to have my pool salt cell keep my tub water clean. Thank you, i appreciate any input

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”