Inground Pool Leak first 4", can you figure it out?

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
tripflex
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Pebble-tek, inground

Postby tripflex » Thu 05 Nov, 2009 13:18

Alright, so after purchasing a bank owned house, spending $500 to have a company drain the pool and fill it back up. I have now found out that i also have a leak somehow. So again, my pool is now becoming green because the water level has gone below the skimmer.

Here are some measurements i took:
10/21 - 1 3/4" from top of pool
10/22 - 4" from top of pool
10/23 - 4 1/2" from top of pool

The pool drained the most the first day when i filled it all the way up. After that it seemed like it might be normal evaporation, but i'm not too sure. It seems im losing about 1/4" a day, which since i live in Florida, i'm on a lake, and do not have a screened enclosure.

It's an in-ground pool on the lake. It's 3 feet deep in the shallow end and 8ft in the deep end.

I tried using food coloring around each jet, and the pool light to see if i could see the coloring draining, but couldn't find anything. So now it makes me wonder if it might be in the tiles.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!!

ChuckGeo
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby ChuckGeo » Thu 05 Nov, 2009 14:18

Does it leak the same amount whether the pump is on or off? If the amount is greater or less when the pump is on, you could have a plumbing leak, if it's the same either way suspect around a fitting, skimmer throat or cracked skimmer, light conduit or inside the niche, main drain sump, hydrostat, or a crack in the structure. Does it stop leaking at the bottom of the tile line or does the level continue to drop below the tile?
1/4" loss per day is not too terrible, you're probably loosing half (1/8") to evaporation.
given that it leaked rapidly when full then tapered off as the water level dropped, I'd concentrate on the tile border and skimmer & throat.
Let me know how it goes.
Chuck
Owner, Superior Pool Services
25 years leak detection experience

Postby Guest » Thu 05 Nov, 2009 17:27

Hey Tripflex

You should really get some chemicals in the pool while you're figuring out where the leak is or you'll end up spending major $$s to balance the water later.

Doob
mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby mas985 » Fri 06 Nov, 2009 14:26

Your part of the country averages about 60" per year in evaporation. That works out to be about 5/32" per day but it depends on the time of year, temperature and wind. So you aren't too far off. I would do a bucket test to make sure.
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Sat 07 Nov, 2009 11:04

Are you sure you did not put too much of that food coloring in this pool? Somebody must have...... :wink:
Pool Clown
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uses a Chlorine generator, not a Salt Water Generator (SWG).

Postby Pool Clown » Mon 09 Nov, 2009 23:06

As noted above, I would start at the skimmer throat where the skimmer joins up with the tile. Does it leak down to the bottom of the throat then slow?
Factory warranty service for Pentair, Jandy, Raypak, Polaris, and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”