Cannot elevate voltage of chlorinator

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
petershaw
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby petershaw » Thu 05 Nov, 2009 17:38

Hi,

I cannot adjust the voltage of chlorinator controller to higher level (eg. voltage for summer season). The electrodes of the chlorinator cell have calcium deposit on the surface but not much. Salt level is good in the water. What is the problem? the controller has problem or the cell ? Or is any way to diagnosis it before buying new one?

Thanks

Peter

mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby mas985 » Fri 06 Nov, 2009 14:16

Some SWGs such as the Goldline units do not alter their voltages to different levels. These types are basically at full voltage all of the time. To reduce the chlorine level you set the % on time which is a duty cycle that turns the unit on and off at regular intervals. If you are not getting enough chlorine at 100% setting then either the unit has scale OR the unit is too small for your pool OR the cell is nearing the end of it's life. Try cleaning the cell with an acid wash per manufacture recommendations. Also, what brand/model SWG do you have?
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
petershaw
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby petershaw » Sun 08 Nov, 2009 03:59

Hi Mark,

Thank u for your reply. My SWG is SaltMaster. The voltage is adjustable. It was in good condition, Now can only adjust from 0 to a low level.

Peter
mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby mas985 » Sun 08 Nov, 2009 11:27

So are you saying that when you adjust the "Production Control" button, the voltage does not go above a certain level? How do you know? Do you know what the voltage is or are you saying it just isn't producing enough chlorine?

If the unit is not producing enough chlorine for the settings, then the problem is either a dirty cell, too low of a salt level, or the cell is nearing it's end of life. Have you tried cleaning the cell or checking the salt level and how long have you had it?
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
petershaw
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby petershaw » Sun 08 Nov, 2009 22:26

There is a voltage meter, so I can adjust the voltage precisely. Now I cannot adjust the voltage on the controller to higher level. The salt level is OK, The cell has been cleaned. But I am not sure the electrodes are OK or not although there is some white deposit on the surfaces of electrodes.
darlimkc

Postby darlimkc » Fri 27 Jun, 2014 23:10

Try elevating the voltage without water inside the system.The voltage should be able to be elevated.If not the controller is faulty. If can be elevated and again cannot be elevated,which is unlikely, the possible causes are the salt content is extremely high(unlikely). This causes overloading of the converter.
You can try connecting a 6 volt lead-acid battery (a word of caution„ battery must be 12AH or above) to the electrode. Let the water flow for say one minute. Collect water samples say from 20 to 40 seconds.If chlorine content is ok in the sample than it is confirmed to be converter problem.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”