Scaling or leaching?

Total hardness and calcium hardness in pool water.
Scale, calcium buildup, hard water and scaling problems.
scubamark
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: saltwater inground plaster

Scaling or leaching?

Postby scubamark » Mon 09 Nov, 2009 08:39

In my understanding calcium scaling /build up on pool surfaces results from either leaching out of concrete due to low CH of water or scaling on walls as a result of very high CH calcium coming out of solution.
or is both possible?
how can i determine what those lumpy stains "running dowm pool walls" are.calcium out of the concrete or out of pool water?
I find this very confusing and am thankful for all help. This is not about one particular pool as i m looking after few different ones and all of them had deposits already....

Scaling or leaching?

Postby Guest » Mon 09 Nov, 2009 10:08

are the stains light or discolored?
are they smooth or rough?
are they everywhere or only a few spots?

pictures??
scubamark
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: saltwater inground plaster

Scaling or leaching?

Postby scubamark » Wed 11 Nov, 2009 06:23

the deposits are white and some even fairly thick as you could break them off! i guess they are calcium leached out of the pool concrete??
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Scaling or leaching?

Postby Larry » Tue 24 Nov, 2009 04:27

If they "run down" the pool walls it is probably scale from the concrete or plaster. We often see this in pools built on a high water table, where outside ground water seeps into the pool. The scaling usually takes place during the cool winter months when pool maintenance is minimal and pump run times are sporadic.

Pictures of the deposits would help, as would a summary of the water test results for the pool/s in question.

Return to “Hard Pool Water & Scale”