Having problems with PH and Alkalinity

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
Columbus_pool
I'm new here
I'm new here

Having problems with PH and Alkalinity

Postby Columbus_pool » Tue 31 May, 2005 10:20

When opening up the pool this year I found that I had zero alkalinity and a PH of 6.8

So we put in 50 pounds of sodium bicarbonate and the alkalinity rose to 90 ppm.

Then we started in on raising the PH. We are using soda ash and have put in about 12 pounds in increments. The PH has risen to 7.2 but that is as high as it will go. Now every time I put new soda ash in the ph stays at 7.2 but the alkalinity has risen to 130-140 ppm.

When the ph rose to 7.2 we instantly had algae bloom and I have been dumping chlorine into the pool to stop this. Also running the robot vacuum and backwashing a couple of times per day.

What am I doing wrong?

bilmo2005

I wish I knew!

Postby bilmo2005 » Sat 04 Jun, 2005 16:46

Maybe you need to drain your pool and add new water. That's what my pool guy told me!

I think he's full of beans............... but, maybe I am :)

The water in my pool is WAY wacked according to the testing equipment.
So, I don't know what to do.
Las Vegas

I'm having the same problem

Postby Las Vegas » Fri 12 Aug, 2005 14:37

My alkanlinity is through the roof, and my ph won't go above 7.2. It's starting to eat my plaster. The water here naturally drifts towards high ph, yet mine won't budge. If I add soda ash, it goes up for a day or two and then drops back down. Meanwhile, my alkalinity just keeps on rising. What should I do?
Las Vegas

I'm having the same problem

Postby Las Vegas » Fri 12 Aug, 2005 14:38

My alkanlinity is through the roof, and my ph won't go above 7.2. It's starting to eat my plaster. The water here naturally drifts towards high ph, yet mine won't budge. If I add soda ash, it goes up for a day or two and then drops back down. Meanwhile, my alkalinity just keeps on rising. What should I do?

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”